chapter 060 - the five (2)

they waited while jeremy drew the tattoo from connor's arm.

"so tell me more about this tattoo." stefan said.

"my sister's suitor was unwilling to tell us anything. rebekah, however, was more than willing to... investigate, isn't that right?" klaus asked.

klaus told them how the hunter found out about them being vampires.

"my sisters boyfriend threw a slumber party that night. he and his brothers put us all down in our sleep. elijah, kol, finn... and me." klaus said.

"how was i supposed to know?" rebekah said.

"cheers. to my sister's uncanny ability to choose men." klaus said.

"wait, they put you down as well?" may asked.

"i thought the daggers didn't work on you because of your werewolf side." stefan said.

"they don't." klaus replied.

klaus told them how the hunter promised something to rebekah.

"what did he promise you?" may asked her.

"go ahead rebekah, tell them what the hunter told you the tattoo leads to. what's this great weapon that could bring upon the end of the vampire species?" klaus said.

"a cure. he said there was a cure." rebekah finally said.

"there is no cure for vampirism." stefan said.

"i'm telling the truth, stefan." rebekah said.

"then why wouldn't you have searched for it, found it?" stefan asked.

"because when the hunters drew their final breath that night, the marks disappeared from their body. the map was gone, the brotherhood of the five extinct. for 900 years, there was not a whisper of another hunter until our friend in there showed up in town." klaus explained.

"well, now we have the map, what do we do next?" rebekah asked.

"we don't do anything. you can't be trusted, little sister. you'll be blabbing this secret to the first boy who calls you pretty. i mean, it's pathetic, really isn't it? how she continues to hand her heart to any man who shows her a hint of affection. you'd think she would have learned by now from the endless cycle of disappointment and deception!" klaus said.

"but i haven't! instead i stay with you and let you leech every moment of happiness from my life. you know, at least i faired better than finn. klaus left him daggered because he was tired of his judgment." rebekah said.

"no, finn was a dullard. he's more interesting lying in a box." klaus replied.

"you want the cure for elena, don't you? so you can go back to mass producing your hybrids. that's why you brought stefan in, cause you knew he'd help you even though he hates your guts. you know what, you can shove your cure." rebekah said before she walked out of the room.

"well, i hope you got what you wanted out of her before you chased her off." stefan said.

"she never would've told me what i needed to know. but she'll tell you." klaus said.

"what do you need me to find out?" stefan asked him.

"the map is useless without the tool to decipher it." klaus said.

"the sword." stefan said.

"she knows where it is. and you're going to get her to tell you. you have a chance to save elena from the very thing that's going to destroy her. you can call it a deal with the devil if you like. but you know you won't walk away from it." klaus said.