chapter 088 - for whom the bell tolls (2)

may had gotten a call from elena telling her that she lost stefan at the party. before he disappeared, he mentioned that he was hungry.

when may found stefan, she saw he was running away from caroline.

"what happened?" may asked and then she saw a guy bleeding on the ground.

"stefan fed on him. and then he just took off, he said he had to go." caroline said.

"go where?" may asked.

"i'm not sure, just find him." caroline said dealing with the guy stefan fed on.

"okay." may replied before she tried to go and find stefan.

she went back to the house and she saw he was leaving.

"stefan?" may said stopping him.

"hey, who's bonnie?" stefan asked.

"she's one of our friends, she's a witch. why do you asked?" may asked him.

"she's dead." stefan said making may gasp.

"what?" may asked.

-

jeremy had finally told everyone that bonnie was dead. she died in order for jeremy to come back to life. she had been dead for months.

they were having a funeral for her. caroline and may went to go talk to stefan who was in his family crypt.

"hey. how are you feeling?" caroline asked him.

"we've been a little worried." may said.

"feeling better. which, in my world, means i haven't committed homicide since i last saw you guys. been doing a lot of thinking today. a lot of wandering around... and this seemed like the most appropriate place to come. what's wrong?" stefan asked seeing the look on their faces.

"you remember what you were telling me yesterday, about bonnie?" may asked him as he nodded.

"yeah, what, uh...? what happened?" stefan asked.

"please don't ask. because then i'm going to have to try to come up with an answer... which means i'm gonna have to actually think about it. and then i'll start crying, and i'm afraid that i might not ever be able to stop." caroline said.

"mmh. i'm sorry, i... i wish that i could remember her." stefan said as the three of them sat down.

"i don't know. i mean, part of me just wishes that i could trade places with you. because without all the memories... maybe it wouldn't hurt so damn much." caroline said.

"yeah, losing your best friend is a different kind of loss than family." may said.

"it's okay." stefan said.

"it's not. i'm never gonna see her again. and i have no idea where tyler is. i just got so used to them being there all the time. and now what, i'm supposed to just learn to move on without them? how do i do that when all i have is this sadness and this anger and..." caroline went on but stefan cut her off.

"us. you have us. like you were there for me last night and damon has told me how much you've helped me, may. sounds like you guys are always there for me. so let us be there for you. okay?" stefan asked.

"yeah, we'll get through this together." may said as the three of them got close together.

-

they all gathered to a tree stump in the woods to honor bonnie.

may put up a photo of bonnie and put some flowers on the stump.

jeremy placed a framed photo, caroline placed some pom pom from their cheerleading days, matt put a whistle down from their live guarding days, elena put some feathers in the stump from when bonnie told her that she was a witch, damon put her grimoire down.

everyone had tears falling down their faces and they saw jeremy pick up the bell.

"we ring this bell in honor of bonnie. in remembrance for her." jeremy said ringing the bell.

"i'm not sure what else to say. she says that she's not going anywhere... that she has been here all along. bonnie has watched you have the summer of your life. and she saw elena happy. and she knows you think now... that you can't have a normal life... that you have to be here for everyone... but you don't. everyone will find their way. so you are gonna repack your things. you're gonna go back to college, and you're gonna live it up." jeremy said.

may knew that since jeremy was able to see ghost, he was seeing bonnie, she was there talking to everyone.

"you didn't do anything wrong, matt. you know, she would have sent you 300 e-mails back if she could. she misses you. caroline... she watched you decorate that dorm room like your life depended on it. and she knows that college isn't... everything you expected and that you... feel like something is missing... but..." jeremy said but he paused.

they all turned their heads and they saw tyler had shown up. he brought a white rose and caroline ran into his arms.

everyone cried to grieve the loss of their good friend bonnie.

-

caroline had invited may and stefan to a historical costume party at whitemore and she bought them costumes.

stefan was james dean, and may was dressed as olivia newton john from grease.

may had gotten her and stefan a drink and they were chatting.

"wasn't sandy blonde?" stefan asked as may chuckled.

"yeah, but you would not like to picture me as a blonde, trust me." may replied making stefan laugh.

"fair enough." stefan replied drinking his beverage.

"elena tells me you're mad at her and damon?" may asked him.

"yeah, well, right now i feel like the only people i can trust are you and caroline. i'm not sure what kind of brother would steal his brothers girl. i'm also not sure what kind of girlfriend would let that happen." stefan said.

before may could say anything, she saw caroline and tyler had arrived to the party. may and stefan went to join them.

"hey. dance with us. i'm buzzed and i'm on the verge of having a good time." stefan said.

"thanks to me." may said with a chuckle.

"have fun. i'll get us drinks." tyler told caroline before the other three went off to dance.