chapter 044 - ghost world

may finally came back to after having her neck snapped

may finally came back to after having her neck snapped. she could hear her phone buzzing in the distance.

she looked around and she saw katherine and mikael were both gone. her attention turned back to her phone, caroline was calling her.

"may, thank god. where have you been?" caroline said as may stood up and stretched.

"mikael ran off after he feed on katherine, he snapped my neck... long story. why are you calling me?" may asked her.

"this is going to sound crazy but their are ghosts running around mystic falls. anna was kissing jeremy, mason lockwood attacked damon last night and lexi is with elena." caroline said as may took a moment to process.

lexi was with elena. lexi was in mystic falls... as a ghost.

"i'm on my way, i'll get elena to update me later." may said before she hung up the phone.

she quickly gathered herself together and without a second thought she got into her car, driving straight to mystic falls.

she wasn't sure how long lexi would be here but she didn't wanna miss an opportunity to see her best friend.

with lexi around, she could help get stefan back. lexi was always there for him... and for may.

while she was driving, she thought back to a happy time in her life.

it was 1873, mabel had compelled her way into a ball. she wouldn't normally spend her time doing such things but meeting ren changed her.

"how did you get invitations to a ball as fancy as this?" ren asked her.

mabel bought ren a suit for the event. ren didn't have much money and mabel wanted to spoil him, show him there was more to life than the life he was living.

"i know someone." mabel replied as they walked in hand in hand.

"well, would you care to dance, madam?" ren asked her making mabel smile at him.

"i would love to." mabel replied before the two of them went off onto the dance floor.

mabel smiled as the two of them danced, she noticed for a poor orphan boy, he was a heck of a dancer.

may snapped out of her thoughts as she saw her exit was coming up.

-

when may finally got back to mystic falls, she was going to the location elena sent her. it was the old cellar where they would torture vampires decades ago.

may got out of her car and she started walking towards the door when she saw her.

"lexi?" may said teary eyed.

"may." lexi said with a bright smile before pulling her best friend in for a tight hug.

"i've missed you so much." may said.

"i know, darling. i know." lexi said.

lexi was there every time may went to visit her burial site. she was always there.

"how's it going with stefan?" may asked her.

"work in progress but you know me, i love a good challenge." lexi said as may smiled.

"i'm not sure how much time you have but i have to ask... do you ever hear talk of a guy named ren on the other side?" may asked.

"ren? no... why?" lexi asked her.

"no reason, i was just wondering." may said but lexi ended up catching on.

"ren is the guy you told me about decades ago, isn't he? you loved him and you wanted to know if he died supernatural or human." lexi said as may nodded her head.

"i guess now i know. well, we should go check on stefan." may said before they went back in there with him.

-

"quit fighting me stefan. i know you're in there." lexi said to him.

"not anymore, lexi." stefan said as may chuckled.

"sure you're not, we all know it's not true." may said.

"you know you say that every time? until i make you feel again." lexi said as she stabbed him in the stomach.

"you two wasted your whole lives taking care of me. lexi, now you're dead and you still have nothing better to do. are you gonna live like that too, may?" stefan asked.

"we're running out of time." elena said as she rushed over to them.

bonnie was in the process of doing a spell to send all the ghost back to the other side.

"you gotta give me more." lexi said.

"i can't." elena replied.

"no. not until i break through." lexi said.

"i can't, lexi. they have the necklace, they're going to close the door." elena said.

"that's it, lexi." may said looking at her and lexi caught on.

"the necklace. okay. that necklace. at least tell me you remember how you felt about that. you found it during your darkest time. and you said, when you made it through, that that necklace represented hope." lexi told him.

"how does that make you feel now, stefan?" may asked him.

"ironic, then, that it's about to get blown to pieces." stefan replied.

may could see the desperation on elena's face. she so badly wanted stefan back, the stefan who gave her that necklace in the first place.

"he's still in there, elena. you just have to break through." lexi said.

"it's okay, lexi, i know what to do now. you can be free." elena said.

"i love you may." lexi said holding her hand as may felt a tear roll down her face.

"i love you lexi." may said as they smiled at each other.

just like that, the hand that was in may's hand suddenly disappeared. lexi was gone, again.

may took a deep breathe before she looked at elena and then looked at stefan.

"i'm going to be back here everyday and remind you that i'm not giving up. lexi still has hope in you, time and time again she's helped you and so will i. you're my best friend and nothing will change that." may said but stefan looked away from her.

"can you leave us alone for a minute?" elena asked as may nodded.

"yeah, of course." may replied before leaving the two of them to talk.