chapter 057 - growing pains

stefan told elena that she was in transition. elena had never wanted to become a vampire so bonnie was looking for a way to help her.

may was at home while stefan and damon stayed at elena's.

may heard the doorbell and she went to answer the door only to get shot with vervain syringes.

"what the bloody hell?" may said before she passed out.

when she finally came to, she saw she was locked up in a small cage and she started coughing.

there was vervain being spread through the air of the shed. in front of her, she saw elena and stefan.

"what the hell is this?" may said.

"may, how long have you been here?" stefan asked her.

"i'm not sure." may replied.

"i thought i killed you." rebekah said to elena.

"where am i?" elena asked.

"they thought you were a vampire so they stuck you in here with us." rebekah said.

"where's stefan?" elena asked.

"elena, i'm right here. are you okay?" stefan asked her.

"stefan... i didn't feed." elena said.

"don't worry, we'll figure something out, love." may said.

"ah. i see what's going on here. you died with vampire blood in your system and you didn't feed and now you're locked up in here without a drop of human blood in sight. that is a problem." rebekah said.

"thanks for stating the obvious, captain bitch." may said.

"just ignore her." stefan said.

"has anyone done the math, or shall i? i'd say you've got less than three hours to feed before i get to watch you die all over again. my day just got a whole lot better." rebekah said finding the situation amusing.

after some time had passed, may could see elena was getting weaker. she didn't know what to do.

"stefan?" elena said weakly.

"what happened?" stefan asked her.

"i'm out of time. i need blood. i'm dying." elena said.

stefan got up and started shouting to get the guards attention.

"will you shut up?" rebekah said.

"you think we're afraid of you?" stefan said before a guy came in.

"you want more vervain? keep it down." the guard said.

"listen to me. elena's going to die if you don't let her out of here." stefan told him.

"sorry. not my problem." the guard said.

"she's innocent. let her out. let her out!" stefan shouted before the guy shot him.

"stop!" elena said.

"i said, let her out!" stefan said before getting shot again.

"stefan!" may said seeing him fall to his knees.

stefan got the bullets out of him and the guard was gone again.

"elena, you still with me?" stefan asked her.

"yeah. yeah, i'm here. i'm okay." elena said in a weak tone.

"no, you're not. i can hear your breathing. damon was right. you should've fed this morning. i'm so sorry." stefan said.

may watched the two of them with tears falling from her face, elena was stefan's epic love. it hurt her to see this unfold in front of her.

"don't be. you had hope. that's all i ever wanted you to have. and you had it." elena replied.

"i love you so much." stefan told her.

"do you know why i was even on that bridge? i was coming back for you, stefan. i had to choose, and i picked you. because i love you. no matter what happens it's the best choice i ever made. god... it sucks that i can't see you right now." elena said.

"i'm smiling." stefan told her.

"me too." elena replied.

may looked at the two of them before she noticed elena closed her eyes.

"elena?" may said.

the guards were coming in with another vampire and may noticed rebekah and stefan looked at each other.

"excuse me? hello, sir?" rebekah said.

"i thought i told you to shut up." the guard said.

"here's the thing... my family, we... we have money. castles, apartments, jewelry. just name your price and let me out." rebekah said as she coughed.

"i'd much rather watch you die." the guard said.

rebekah flashed her fangs at him making that guard back up. stefan grabbed the guard, smashing his head into the bars.

"elena. elena!" stefan said getting her attention.

"you've got this, elena." may told her.

elena reached her hand out and dipped her fingers into the blood before putting some into her mouth.

all of the vampires were finally able to escape. may went back home and she saw damon was already there.

-

stefan and elena went to a camping trip so elena could learn to drink animal blood.

when they came back, the gang learned that the council members were all killed in an explosion at the pastors farm house.

there was a guy who was investigating what happened and when he went to visit carol lockwood, he shot tyler.

caroline brought tyler over to the salvatore house where stefan and may helped get the bullets out of him.

"please tell me that's the last one." caroline said.

"yeah, we're all finished." may told her.

"these were specially carved. the length, the width. if you were a normal vampire, you'd be dead." stefan said looking at the wooden bullet.

"that's terrifying." may said.

"this guy knew what he was doing. his gloves must have been steeped in vervain. he was looking for a vampire and he didn't hesitate for a second when he found one." tyler said.

"what is it?" may asked when she saw stefan examining the bullet.

"these etchings..." stefan said but it burned him when he touched it.

"are the bullets spelled?" caroline asked.

"i don't know. they're something." stefan said.

-

the town was getting ready to go to the memorial service for the council members that died in the explosion.

meanwhile stefan went to see bonnie to see if she could help with the mystery bullet.

when may saw damon at the memorial, he told her that elena was having trouble keeping blood down.

she hadn't eaten in three days.