chapter 087 - for whom the bell tolls (1)

may had gone to the bathroom and when she came back, stefan was gone.

"where's stefan?" may asked looking around the grill.

"feeding on the waitress, i think." damon said.

"what?!" may asked before they got up to go find him.

when they found him, he was about to sink his fangs into the waitress but damon stopped him.

"today, i'm the safe brother." damon told him.

after that, they took stefan to the graveyard where the celebration was.

"this is the dumbest excuse to get drunk that i've ever heard of." may said.

"yeah. what kind of name is honoria fell?" stefan asked reading it off one of the tombstones.

"oh, god." may said knowing stefan had no idea.

"shh. you're kinda the one that killed her." damon told him.

"oh." stefan replied.

"hindsight being 20/20... way too much temptation at the bar. so, if this ripper gene is biological, then we need to minimize human contact... till we get your brain all witchy-wooed back to normal. so here it is." damon said once they entered their family crypt.

"so this is the, uh, family crypt, huh? anybody here i didn't kill?" stefan asked.

"well, we've covered our father, who art in hell. uncle zach, my bad. on the bright side...our mother died of consumption." damon said ringing the bell to honor the dead.

"oh, good." stefan said.

"ooh." damon said feeling his phone vibrate.

"it's so dreadful in here." may said.

"i gotta go see a man about a witch. party on without me, brother. for you." damon said passing stefan the bottle of alcohol.

"and this is for you." damon said passing elena the bell.

"well, i, uh...i certainly hope you guys have a happier family history than mine." stefan said.

"you do remember i'm like 409 years old, right? my mother was killed during the witch trials when i was 11 and my father and my four brothers died of scarlet fever when i was 18." may said.

"oh, well, never mind then. what about you?" stefan asked looking at elena.

"well, let's see. in the last three years, i lost my adoptive parents... my birth parents, my aunt, our guardian alaric, and my brother jeremy died. although the came back to life, so there's that." elena said.

"wait, jeremy that lives in our house." stefan asked.

"yeah, after i had a breakdown and burned my house to the ground." elena said.

"hm." stefan said.

"heh. what?" elena asked.

"how do i not remember the two of you? i mean you're both smart, and elena you're pretty and funny. obviously you're the strongest woman in the world... if you managed to figure out a way to get through all that." stefan said.

"i surround myself with amazing people who help me through it. like you. you're one of those people. and may is one of those people for you." elena said.

"so bonded by death." stefan said.

"something like that, yeah." may said with a laugh.

"please don't tell me that any of us met in a cemetery." stefan asked as elena laughed.