chapter 037 - as i lay dying (1)

when elena came back to life, she was human. bonnie did a spell to bind elena's life to john's. john said that once elena would come back he would die.

after everything was over, they were having a funeral for jenna and john.

may looked at her black dress in the mirror before she joined everyone else. it was times like these she hated being a vampire, death was inevitable for everyone around you.

the funeral was private. elena put roses over the ground where they were buried, including her parents.

may walked over to stefan and damon afterwards.

"hey, are you guys coming to the service?" may asked as she paused.

she saw damon was showing stefan his arm, it was bloody and veiny.

"oh, my god. is that a werewolf bite?" may asked damon.

"yeah, tyler lockwood bite me." damon said as may looked between the two brothers.

"don't tell elena, she doesn't need another grave to mourn." damon said before he walked away.

stefan looked over at may and he let out a sigh.

"maybe you can ask elijah for help, you know, since you two are so close." stefan said before he walked away from may.

may just stood there knowing that she might've just lost her best friend over this secret.

-

damon had tried to kill himself by standing out in the sun with his daylight ring off.

stefan found him in time and he locked him down in the basement. he was determined to find a way to save him and so away may.

may knew she needed to make it up to stefan and she knew that helping him save damon would be a start.

may went with stefan to go talk to bonnie. bonnie thought of a plan. they went to the witch's house and bonnie lit some candles.

"i'm not sure this is going to work." bonnie said honestly.

"you've done a seance before, right? contacted emily bennett. maybe one of the witches know how to help damon." stefan said.

"let's just hope they want to." bonnie said before she closed her eyes and chanted a spell.

"bonnie? bonnie?" stefan said before bonnie opened her eyes.

"emily. why have you come here, stefan?" emily asked through bonnie's body.

"well, that's creepy." may mumbled.

"i need your help. i need to know if there's a spell that can heal a werewolf bite." stefan asked her.

"no. nature ensures a balance to everything." emily replied.

"is that true? or are you just saying no because it's damon?" stefan asked.

"perhaps it is his time to die." emily told him.

"no. that's not balance... that's punishment." stefan said.

"i will not give you what you want." emily said.

"so you're saying that there's an answer to give? please. if you know something, just tell me. help me save my brother." stefan said.

"please, emily. damon dying would not be a punishment for him as much as it would be for stefan... think about this." may said.

suddenly, bonnie came back to her body and started screaming and she fell to her knees.

"bonnie." stefan said.

"i don't think they want us here. they think i'm abusing their power." bonnie said.

"they know something. there's an answer. they just don't wanna tell me." stefan said.

"yeah. i heard them say a name." bonnie said.

"what was it?" stefan asked her.

"klaus." bonnie replied.

-

stefan went to go tell elena what was happening with damon and afterwards, he met back up with may so they could visit katherine.

since klaus wasn't dead, katherine was still compelled to not leave alaric's apartment.

"hello, katherine." stefan said as they entered.

"you come here often?" may joked.

"two days, i've been waiting. i'm supposed to be free of klaus' compulsion by now. he's supposed to be dead." katherine said angrily.

"we ran into complications." stefan told him.

"complications?" katherine asked wanting him to specify.

"doesn't really matter. i just need to find him. do you have any idea where he might be?" stefan asked as katherine pinned stefan against the wall.

may was about to react when she heard the door opening and they all hid in the corner.

"klaus, you're back. look who decided to come for a visit." katherine said as klaus and elijah walked in.

"you two just keep popping up, don't you?" klaus said.

"we come with good reason." may said as her and elijah locked eyes.

"i need your help. for my brother." stefan said.

"well, whatever it is, is gonna have to wait a tick. you see, i have an obligation to my brother that requires my immediate attention." klaus said.

"you understand how important family is or you wouldn't be here. my brother gave me his word that he would reunite me with my own." elijah said.

"and so i shall." klaus said before elijah turned around and got stabbed with the dagger.

"elijah!" may shouted as elijah's skin turned gray.

klaus pinned stefan against the wall and looked him in the eyes.

"now, what am i gonna do with you?" klaus asked.

klaus left stefan's side and he looked at may. may felt her heart race as he approached her.

"leave here, now." klaus said trying to compel her.

"i may not be as old as you niklaus, but i am no fool." may said since she was on vervain.

klaus smirked before he snapped may's neck.

"may!" stefan shouted before klaus shoved a stake in stefan's chest.

"do you feel that? it's scraping against your heart. the slightest little movement and you're dead." klaus said.

"he's just trying to help his brother." katherine said.

"the witches said you had a cure. make me a deal. just give me the cure and i'll do whatever you want." stefan said as klaus took the stake out and went to pour himself a drink.

"trouble is i don't know if you'd be any good to me... the way you are now. you're just shy of useless." klaus said as he drank the blood in his glass.