chapter 093 - the cell (1)

stefan was asking may to watch over katherine for a little bit while he was reading.

katherine had tried to jump off a building to off herself so stefan wanted to help her.

"what kind of sentimental idiot writes down everything they feel?" katherine asked ripping out a page from her diary.

"i've personally never got into journaling." may said as stefan walked in the room.

"is this what the prophecy meant when it said that all the doppelgängers... were drawn together like magnets? because if it is, i want my money back." katherine said.

"i'm just trying to make sure you don't slit your wrists." stefan said.

"what a tragedy that would be." may said sarcastically.

"well, this whole neurotic granny vibe... doesn't exactly make me want me to live. do you really have nothing better to do... than stand there all day and watch me write in cursive?" katherine asked.

"well, i have better things to do but i am stefans friend so if he thinks you're worth saving, i need to respect that." may said.

"thank you, may. i'm trying to make sure you don't kill yourself." stefan said the last part being about katherine.

"and how are you going to do that? you know, since you're still having your little panic attacks." katherine pointed out.

"i'm fine." stefan replied.

"yeah, of course. you are the picture of mental health, stefan. after being locked for three months, in a safe at the bottom of a quarry." katherine replied.

"i am dealing with it." stefan told her.

"i know. i mean, i heard you dealing with it earlier today. in the library. it sounded like you freaked out and broke a chair. maybe even two. how are you supposed to help me stay alive... if you can't even help yourself?" katherine asked him.

"did you really break two chairs?" may asked stefan but he ignored the question.

"so does this mean you want to live?" stefan asked her.

"no, it means that i can't work with people who can't give me 100 percent." katherine said before they heard a knock on the door.

"who's that?" may asked.

"and so i may have called for backup." katherine said.

stefan and may went over to the door and they saw caroline.

"what are you doing here?" stefan asked her.

"i'm your sober sponsor... and i heard that you needed help." caroline replied.

"really?" stefan asked her.

"and i got my mom to drop off something for us to use." caroline said showing them that she brought the safe.

"caroline..." may trailed off.

"don't worry, i sanitized it." caroline said.

-

"i spent three months drowning in this thing. what the hell were you thinking?" stefan asking looking at the safe that was now in his living room.

"i was thinking... its time for you to deal with the source of your ptsd." caroline said.

"and you're sure you're not just sublimating your feelings about what happened to jesse last night?" stefan asked.

wes maxfield had turned a guy named jesse, who caroline had a crush on, into a vampire. the only down side was he was a vampire that craved vampire blood.

he ended up feeding on damon and elena had to kill him which, upset caroline.

"feelings? what feelings would i have about my best friend... killing the guy i was crushing on?" caroline asked.

"i could name a few." may said making caroline glare at her.

"he was out of control, and elena did what she had to do." stefan said.

"no, elena did what she thought she had to do. just like she also thought that damon was good boyfriend material. now, you see where i'm going with this?" caroline asked.

"i see where you're going, and i agree." may said but stefan didn't wanna comment.

"anyway, aren't you a drama major? what do you know about ptsd?" stefan asked her.

"well, i know that you tried to deal with it your own way... and you failed. so now... we're gonna try it my way." caroline said opening up the safe.

-

stefan finally agreed to be put in the safe and not even a minute after the safe was shut, stefan began freaking out.

"may? caroline? do you guys even know what you're doing?" stefan asked.

"i'm just following your lead." may said to caroline.

"yes. well, it's in my textbook. let me find it." caroline said looking through her book.

"have you two ever, um...? ahem. you know." katherine asked looking at caroline.

"no, i don't know." caroline replied.

"oh, come on, you know. have you?" katherine asked her again.

"gross, katherine." may said.

"oh, my god. katherine... seriously? ugh." caroline replied.

"that wasn't exactly a yes or a no." katherine said.

"we are friends. just like him and may." caroline said.

"yeah, we don't all do our friends, katherine." may told her.

"your losses. he's great in bed." katherine said.

"oh, god. i'm so not listening to this. here. okay, stefan. prolonged exposure therapy. in vivo exposure gradually introduces elements of prior trauma... e.g. physical objects, circumstances of duress..." caroline began reading but katherine cut her off.

"okay, yeah, yeah. got it, got it. got it. stop talking. you're giving me a headache." katherine said.

"caroline? may? caroline?" stefan shouted.

"guys..." may said hearing stefan.

"i'm just trying to help stefan understand what i'm doing." caroline said.

"this book isn't helping." katherine replied.

"neither of you are helping with this bickering." may said which made them stop.

"you are right about one thing, he needs to get over the root of his problem... because right now, the score is safe 1, stefan 0. so how do you help the guy who always comes to the rescue? stefan's a hero. it's who he is at his core. he can't always come through for himself, but he can always come through for everyone else. i've got an idea." katherine said.

"i'm shocked that i'm saying this, but let's hear it." may said.