chapter 026 - the descent

"where is she?" damon asked as they walked out of the bar.

"just let it go, damon. don't be stupid." alaric said.

"what? i'm supposed to let her just get away? you've been marked? what the hell kind of wolf throw down crap is that anyway?" damon asked.

"damon, look up. just look up. if this werewolf stuff is true, one bite and you're dead. one bite. all right? don't risk it. just go home, lock your doors, and we'll deal with it in the morning." alaric said.

"i agree, damon. you can't risk your life over petty revenge." may said.

"yeah." damon replied.

may and damon walked back home and damon locked the door behind them.

when they walked into the living room, they saw rose.

"look what the cat dragged in." may said.

"just can't stay away, can you?" damon asked her.

"well, you don't answer your phone." rose said ignoring may's comment.

"what do you want?" damon asked her.

"i wanted to apologize." rose replied.

"just admit it. you don't have anywhere else to go." damon said.

"i'm sorry about elena. i wasn't thinking straight. i didn't know that she had a death wise. but i called you. i tried to make it right, okay? i'm sorry, damon. and i have nowhere else to go. heh." rose admitted.

"there's nothing here for you, rose." damon said.

"took the words right out of my mouth." may said.

"well, then." rose said but she stopped talking when they heard a window shatter.

they went to the entrance and saw the broken window. damon grabbed a sword and they could hear growling.

"oh, bloody hell." may said when she saw the werewolf in her house.

"damon!" rose shouted before the werewolf pined her down.

it bit into her shoulder making rose scream out in pain. damon acted fast and stabbed the werewolf making it run off.

"oh, my goodness. rose, are you okay?" may asked her.

"how bad is it?" damon asked.

"it hurts." rose said as may and damon watched the bite fade.

"it's healing." damon said.

"oh, my god. i thought a werewolf bite was fatal. i thought..." rose said as she cried and damon hugged her.

"it's not. you're gonna be okay." damon told her.

in that moment, may noticed that damon felt something for her.

-

elijah got his witch friend to let stefan out of the tomb. katherine however, was still in there.

damon and stefan thought it would be a good idea to talk to isobel about the originals to see what she knew.

elena was asked to stay at the house to take care of rose since her werewolf bite came back and it was getting worse.

may and stefan went to the grill to talk to alaric.

"oh, is that the, uh?" stefan asked looking at jules.

"yeah. yeah. i just, uh, left damon a message." alaric said.

"so you're doing his dirty work for him." stefan said.

"hmm. she could have a cure for rose. i couldn't find anything in isobel's research. except that it's fatal." alaric said.

"do you still know of a way to get in touch with, uh... with isobel?" stefan asked.

"even if i did, she isn't gonna help." alaric told him.

"oh, you underestimate me, i can be quite persuasive." may said.

"katherine said that isobel knew of klaus." stefan explained.

"so this isn't about rose. it's about elena." alaric said as stefan nodded.

"so can you contact her?" may asked him as alaric let out a sigh.

"i have an old number. probably out of service." alaric replied.

"no harm in giving it to me, then?" stefan said.

"you know you can't trust isobel. even when it comes to elena." alaric told stefan.

"i know that." stefan replied.

"all right. i'll see if i can find the number. if i do, i'll text it to you." alaric said.

alaric left and may stayed at the grill with stefan.

20 minutes later alaric texted stefan the number to call and stefan left her a voicemail.

"isobel, it's stefan salvatore. i, um... i need to speak with you. it's about elena. please know that it's important." stefan said before hanging up the phone.

may turned and saw damon walk into the grill and he went directly for jules.

stefan got up to stop him before he could do anything.

"what are you doing here?" damon asked.

"waiting for you. listen, there's a lot of people here." stefan told him.

"damn, there goes my plan to rip her spleen through her back." damon said trying to go back to jules but may got up and stopped him.

"hey, listen. i know you're upset about rose." stefan said.

"why does everyone think i'm upset about rose? i'm fine. i don't know if you know this, sometimes vampires die. im gonna have a friendly chat with lady wolf, brother. ease up." damon said.

stefan was going to say something but his phone started ringing.

"go, i'll watch damon." may told him.

may listened to their conversation and damon asked jules if there was a cure.

she said the only cure that existed was to drive a stake through her heart.

-

stefan and may intended to talk to isobel but instead they talked to john gilbert.

after may got home, she was looking at damon who was having a drink and she poured herself one.

"rose is dead." damon said as may sat down.

"wow." may said letting out a sigh.

"that almost made it sound like you cared about her." damon said.

"well, you did. look, i know i acted like i didn't care about her, but after elena told me what rose went through... the dementia, the pain... no one deserves that. rose may have taken away my human life but she was a good person." may said.

damon threw his glass into the fireplace before he left the house.

she knew it was best to let damon be alone right now.

she couldn't believe it, but it made her sad that rose was dead.