265 This Psychopathic Demon Is Psychic (17)

Song Jia paused, then continued walking until she stood directly in front of him.

"Xu Jinhai."

The Great Demon King's eyes widened in surprise. It was the first time she had called him by his name. He abruptly stood up, sweeping off the non-existent dust on his throne with his hands and awkwardly offering it to her.

"Jia, would you like to sit...?"

"..."

Was the throne just for any random person to sit on?

She politely declined his offer and continued, "Xu Jinhai, I'm here to apologize for my behavior to you earlier."

The Great Demon King's heart sank. He didn't want her apology, and the way she was so polite to him created a distance between them.

"No, Jia, you don't need to apologize. It was my fault. I forced you with this marriage and even my subordinate schemed against you. I'm the one who needs to apologize."

She was so distant from him. The Great Demon King finally realized just how far the distance between them stretched. She was his wish that had came true, but for her, perhaps his existence meant nothing. Even if he disappeared from the face of the earth, her emotions wouldn't even experience the slightest ripple.

He was...

For her, just what was he?

Suddenly, a sharp, piercing pain speared his heart. He pressed his hand against his chest, but it didn't stop. The pain was so intense that he couldn't breathe, yet there was nothing he could do to stop it. He clenched his fists until the knuckles were white, but he couldn't suppress the low groan that escaped him.

"No...not again..."

Finally, the intense pain brought him to his knees in agony.

"Xu Jinhai?" Song Jia was stunned. She knelt in front of him, not knowing what to do. "What's wrong with you?!"

The Great Demon King started to convulse. Song Jia touched his arm, beginning to panic. She wanted to get up and call for help, but before she could, a strong force dragged her into a warm embrace. He clutched her  body as if she was a lifeline, his breathing fast and unsteady.

Song Jia began to struggle. "Let me go, I need to look for someone to help you..."

"No!" Like a child, he only held her tighter.

He knew that the better option was for him to let her leave and find Wen Yu, so that he could drink his daily medicine. But his movement of clinging to her was completely done on reflex, only wanting her to stay by his side.

To the Great Demon King's surprise, the longer he held her and inhaled her scent, the ailment that had been plaguing him since birth began to subside. Not even his medicine could make it disappear so quickly.

Song Jia felt the moment his body relaxed. She pulled away from the Great Demon King, sighing in relief when she saw that his complexion became better.

"What was that?" Pursing her lips, she stared at him with vigilance. "Are you sick?"

The Great Demon King was actually feeling regretful that his intense pain disappeared so quickly. He could have hugged her a bit longer...

"It's an ailment of mine since childhood. I don't know what caused it, or why this kind of sickness only happens to me. All I know is that for more than an hour everyday, it would make me feel an intense pain inside my chest."

Song Jia frowned. His description of his sickness didn't fit an angina or a heart attack. Demons also couldn't catch diseases because of their near-immortal body.

So what kind of sickness did the Great Demon King suffer from?

"Have you asked the demon lord of envy about it? Maybe he has information that could help you."

The Great Demon King paused, and slowly nodded his head. "I already asked him. He said that there was nothing he could do, since the origin of this disease was completely unknown."

Although the demon lord of envy didn't know what was causing his sickness, he had already given him a potion that acted as a painkiller for the intense pain.

He just selfishly didn't want Song Jia to know about it.

"So you coped with this sickness until now?" Song Jia remembered how terrible he looked only minutes before and was amazed at his endurance. "Are you crazy?"

"I can bear it." He was using a pity inducing scheme to get Song Jia's attention, but this did not mean that he wanted to look weak in front of his wife. "Jia, don't worry about it. I'll be fine."

"Just because you can bear it, you intend to suffer from it for all eternity?" Song Jia angrily stood up, brushing away the rose petals that clung to her clothes. "You're the Great Demon King! You have the entire underworld at your disposal. Despite this, you're organizing a wedding instead of worrying about your health?"

He shook his head, saying quietly, "Jia, the wedding is more important to me."

"..."

The Great Demon King looked up at her. "Jia, all of those things you've heard from Piencheng aren't true. It wasn't me, but an incubus from her own court. I never had a relationship with her."

The Great Demon King also stood up. He gently hooked an arm around Song Jia's waist, pulling her against him.

"It might be hard to believe, but I never had a relationship with anyone. I'll only be yours, in the same way I'm going to do everything in my power so that you can be mine. I know you don't have full confidence in me, which is completely natural. That's why, I'll try my best from now on."

Song Jia bit her lip. Since she had already resolved herself to keep an open mind, she tried her best to ignore the voice inside her head crying out, "The Great Demon King, an ancient virgin? Impossible!"

She blinked at him. "Try your best...doing what?"

The Great Demon King smiled, bent down so that they were at eye level, and cupped her cheeks. He swooped in to give her a quick kiss.

"Try my best to show you how much I love you. I feel like I haven't made my feelings clear enough, so from now on, I'll make to sure to demonstrate to you and to everyone else the depth of my feelings. That way, Jia wouldn't have to feel wronged ever again."

"..."

Demonstrate his feelings?

Somehow, Song Jia had a very bad feeling about this.