258 Reality (14)

"Jia...do you like me?"

Caught off guard by the sudden question, Song Jia crossed her arms and looked down before she caught herself and met his eyes squarely.

"Oh, you mean what we were talking about when you were still invisible earlier?"

Song Jia paused for a moment and bit her lip. 

"Of course, I like you. We've been together for several lifetimes already, so if I didn't like you, wouldn't that be even more strange? Don't misunderstand though, I don't think it's love yet. I mean, we already had our first date together, so let's just see if we're compatible with each other..."

"Jia." 

Xu Jinhai leaned down and very gently, he traced one side of her upper lip with his thumb, from the center notch all the way down the lovely slope to the corner. Finally, he pressed the soft pillow of her lower lip, making them part a little. 

"To tell you the truth, I didn't hear the rest of your words after you said you liked me."

Song Jia was speechless. She realized that they were too close and tried to step back, but his other hand was on her hip and Xu Jinhai had no intention of releasing her. She didn't even notice that he had already tossed her teddy bear at the farthest corner of the room.

"You like me? You really like me? In a romantic way?" he asked.

Seeing his impatience, Song Jia held in a smile.

"No, I went on a date with you because I wanted our friendship to bloom."

Xu Jinhai's lips quirked a little at her avoidance. 

He understood now that Song Jia was a bit awkward expressing her emotions. He thought it was very cute. Besides, didn't this mean they were a match made in heaven? He could be affectionate for the both of them.

Nevertheless, Xu Jinhai suddenly had the urge to tease her a little.

"Well Jia, would friends do this?"

He tugged her body close to his, slid his hand from her head to her lower back, and dipped her backwards, her back arched, until her head nearly touched the ground. Song Jia yelped and clutched at his shirt, afraid of falling down.

"Jinhai!"

His other hand was on her thigh, fixing it in place beside his hip. Xu Jinhai admired the view for a moment before he pulled her tight to his body. 

Their faces were inches apart, their breaths intermingling with each other. He tilted his head as if to kiss her, and Song Jia reflexively closed her eyes. Xu Jinhai stopped at the last moment, and his chest trembled with suppressed laughter. Since their bodies were touching, Song Jia naturally felt the movement.

Embarrassed, Song Jia hit his shoulder. "Let me go!"

His lips covered hers, catching her gasp of surprise. He picked her up and strode towards the bed, not giving her the time to catch her breath. It was only when he set her down on top of the bed that he finally allowed her to pull away.

Breathing a bit heavily, he asked, "Jia, do you really like me? I want to know."

Song Jia pursed her lips and swiveled her head away, feeling a bit petty since he pranked her earlier.

"No, I don't like you."

"I guess that's to be expected."

At the sound of his depressed voice, Song Jia's head snapped up. 

"No, that's not what..."

Xu Jinhai squatted down in front of the bed and buried his face in his knees. He continued sullenly, "Jia doesn't want me. I should have expected it. I am a person nobody wants, I am a pig teammate, a little white face, a bad egg, a stupid melon..."