291 This Psychopathic Demon Is Psychic (43)

Many emotions and feelings that have been suppressed and forgotten gradually began to wake up as he held her inside his arms.

His heart was squeezed so tightly inside his chest that it was painful, making him feel breathless. After a few minutes, he clenched his fists and pulled away from her, returning to his makeshift bed on the floor.

"Jia'er, you should sleep too. I'm sorry for disturbing your rest."

His voice was low and soft, with a hint of anxiety. It was as if he was afraid of startling a small animal and cause it to accidentally flee.

"Ah...yes. Good night."

Song Jia was stunned for a beat before responding to him. She didn't know how to react.

She was almost sure that she was facing Zhao Cheng, but he behaved very differently from her expectations. It made her become confused on what kind of attitude she should show him.

Song Jia laid back down in the bed, but she couldn't sleep. There were many questions running in her mind. She couldn't wait for morning to come so that she could confront Nova and finally get some answers.

"Jia'er?" Thee silence was broken by his tentative voice and a rustle of sheets. "Are you still awake?"

"...I am."

Song Jia had already closed her eyes, but she could hear him moving on the ground. It seemed that he was trying to sit up...?

"Jia'er...can I hold your hand?"

Zhao Cheng clutched his head as he spoke, trying to make his voice sound steady. He wanted to appear normal in front of her, but any loss of contact seemed to trigger some kind of panic attack from him. Shortly after he forced himself to stop hugging her, there was ringing in his ears as his vision began to swim.

He endured it as much as he could, but as his panic had reached its peak, his survival instinct kicked in and the words came out of his mouth before he could stop himself.

Song Jia opened her eyes. He wanted to hold her hand? She remembered the crazy things this man had done after she 'passed away.' She felt that...it didn't seem to be such a difficult request.

"Alright."

Song Jia held out her hand, and he quickly laced his fingers through hers, their palms meeting. The shape of her hand perfectly fit his as if every joint and fine muscle had been designed to match.

Zhao Cheng didn't lie back down on the makeshift bed. He continued sitting down, looking at their joined hands. It was such a simple thing, to be able to hold her hand.

But like a pebble being thrown into a still lake, it created endless ripples in his heart. He could feel her pulse, beating steadily and rhythmically, reminding him that she was alive.

A long time ago, he held her hand like this too.

He was much more mature now, having gone through despair and vicissitudes of life. Just holding her hand, feeling her existence, this was more than enough for him.

They say that a person who loves the other is the most humble. He was afraid that if he showed how much he wanted her, let loose of the desperate desires locked deep inside his heart, she would leave him without hesitation. He didn't have any qualifications to appear in front of her, so he was like a coward without any confidence.

Just staying like this...just let him stay like this by her side.

This was enough.

He gently squeezed her hand.