5

Luna splashed water on her face. She tried so hard to not cry but she couldn't. Luna sat on the floor choking on her tears.

********************

"Kelly. Am I right?" Hendery held the plastic in front of her face. Kelly nodded. "Thank you! Life saver!!!" Kelly grabbed the plastic and disappeared into the washroom.

Hendery sat down on a chair. He rested his head on the table.

"Hendery, wake up," Kelly tapped his cheek softly. He opened his eyes. "I want to sleep," he mumbled and closed his eyes.

*********************

At the end of the day everyone anticipated to get some rest. However for Luna it's a different set of story.

She quickly made her way to the kitchen to prepare some late dinner. She was quiet. Just the sound of her cutting and cooking could be heard.

"Hey fatty, what's for dinner?" Yun asked from his room. When she didn't answer him, he made his way to the kitchen. He was ready to slap her when she turned and pointed her knife at him.

"Slap me and I swear I'll go to prison for slashing you," her voice was chilly. Yun put his hand down and asked her again what's for dinner.

"Fried rice."

It was a very quiet dinner. It was so quiet that they could even hear if anyone swallowed their food.

"Luna, what do you think of that bridesmaid dress?" Her mother broke the silence. Luna shrugged. "I don't know."

Yun suddenly laughed. "You're mad because I said you'd look like a hippo in that dress? Hahaha weak," he laughed out loud. Luna shook her head.

"No. I'm mad because you're a piece of shit," she put down her barely touched food and slammed the door to her room shut. Yun shouted from the dining table but she couldn't care less.

Mrs Hua turned to Yun. "Why can't you be nice to her?"
"Why should I?" He sniggered and continued chomping on his dinner.

Li Yun, a monster.

***************************

A different person delivered their meal that day. Luna paid for the meal and watched Yun eating two portions as usual.

She fiddled with her phone. Luna had nothing to do with it. She basically scrolled through her social media and just questioned why was she different.

"Hua Luna! Are you free today?" Hala's voice was clear.
"Yo. Today's calm. Why?"
"Come with me. I need a girlfriend."
"Sure. I can go I guess."
"Cool. I'll come by at 3," Hala ended the call.

Aside from Yue, Hala is the only person she's friends with. Kinda sad but that's how it is. Luna gathered her items and stuffed it in her handbag.

"Mom, I'm going out with Hala."
"Be back before dinner!" Yun shouted as she was leaving. Luna didn't even look back. She left just like that. She walked down the street and met Hala at the intersection.

It's rare seeing step siblings being super nice to each other. But Hala and Luna were an exception. Hala was the nicer person among them. Well used to be. Today, Luna is the nicer one while Hala is more outspoken. It's as if they've changed roles.

The mall wasn't crowded. They breezed through shops. "Luna, I'm sorry," Hala suddenly blurted.

"Why?" Luna turned to Hala.

"Yun is mean. He's just mean."
Luna chuckled. "I get that everyday, Hala. Can't say I'm used to it but it's on him. Not you. Don't apologise," Luna assured Hala.

***************************

Walking side by side, both Hala and Luna looked so different. A tall model-esque looking lady and a small petite yet curvy lady. Hala towered above Luna at 168 cm tall while Luna is just 153 cm tall.

"Dinner with me today?" Hala asked Luna. Luna who was focused on some books turned to her. "I can't. I have to cook dinner."

"Aww Luna. We haven't hang out in ages. Come on," Hala persuaded Luna. Luna smiled and agreed.

It was dinner and both of them were flipping through the menu. Hala loves Italian food.

"What do you want? Don't say salad," Hala pointed her finger at Luna and laughed.
"Order for me then," Luna shrugged. She didn't mind anything.

They were chatting over dinner, catching up on things. Hala spent most of her time in the States while Luna never even went overseas.

"Hey Luna. I want you to be my maid of honour," Hala broke the news. She finally told Luna her wish. Luna stopped twirling her pasta.

"Me?"
"Yes. You."
"No.... . I don't think I should," Luna refused. She shook her head.
"No. I want you to be my maid of honour. We grew up together and you know all of my secrets and I want you to be there as a special person on my special day. Come on," Hala persuaded her. She knew how much Luna is insecure of herself.

Luna smiled meekly. "I want to. But I'd ruin everything. I don't look good," she shook her head, still refusing. Hala frowned.

****************************

~5 years ago~

Hendery looked out the window. He missed home.

"Hey, wanna play soccer?" His roomate opened the door and asked. He turned and shook his head. He fiddled with his pen and wrote something on the opened book in front of him.

He remembered the conversation he had with his mom a few days ago. She sounded so distant. He hated using the school's phone but that's the only way he could call back home.

He couldn't wait to finish his semester there and ran back to his mother. He hated there. Nothing made sense to him.

"Hendery!!" Hala's voice snapped him. He looked out the window and saw Hala waving.

"Come on! Let's hang out!"
"Okay!"

He grabbed his jacket and ran down the stairs.

Hala held her hand out to him.

"Hey, I have something to tell you," she squeezed his palm.

"What?" Hendery turned to her. They were sitting on a stone bench watching some boys playing football.

Hala smiled at him. "This is the longest I've done this. 4 months. I usually break their hearts after a week," she released her grip. Hendery smiled.

"Don't worry. I know."
"Wh... How?"

"Do you think I'm sent from above or something? I know your gig. It's okay. It was fun pretending to be a couple," he stood up, ruffled her hair and walked away. Hala froze. She watched him disappear among the trees.

"But I want to say I think I really like you," she muttered under her breath.

I guess we weren't perfect.