48

Xiaojun made Hendery stop the car.

"Look at me and tell me what did they say?"
"We can try chemo again. But I honestly don't know," Hendery sighed heavily.

"Why do you need me to cover up again? It's not high school anymore."
"My girlfriend doesn't know."
"Let me guess. You're planning to keep her in the dark?"

Hendery nodded slowly. Xiaojun cussed out loud.
"Fuck it dude! Why?"
"So it'll hurt her less."
"That doesn't make sense, Hendery."
"It makes complete sense to me. Would you love Lila if she's dying?" Hendery turned to Xiaojun. Xiaojun froze. He didn't answer him.

"Please... . I'm begging," Hendery mumbled under his breath.

Xiaojun sighed and opened his arms. "I'd kill for you. Come here," he pulled Hendery into a hug.

At a glance, they seemed like they won't click with each other. But the truth is, they are in it for each other.

**********************

Luna avoided Yun. She'd cook and clean and immediately disappeared into her room. She doesn't respond to his mockery and just do as she's told. Their contact were so minimal that Yun got pissed.

She was sewing beads in the store room when Yun stormed in and slammed the table.

"What the f... What?" Luna was startled.

"I don't like you dating that boy."
"Okay."
"See. You're getting insolent by the minute. He's a bad influence."
"No, Yun. You are the bad influence."

He slammed the table again and pushed away everything on it causing the beads to scatter all over the floor.

"Come on, man! That's gonna take years to clean!"
"Serves you right for being a bitch. And listen to me while I'm being nice. Break it off."
"No. Why would I?"
"Because I would personally break it for you."

Luna scoffed. "Why do you care with whom I'm dating? Or what I'm doing? It doesn't make sense, Yun. You hate me:"

"I never said I hate you. I just said your misery is my joy. It's different."
"Stop it Yun. We're not kids anymore. I'm not 8 anymore."
"Oh, do I look I care?"

*********************

Xiaojun adopted the small beagle. He turned around and saw Hendery playing with a brown kitten.

"You'll regret that, Hendery."
"Already am!" Hendery got up and made his way to Xiaojun. His eyes were red and watery.

"I'll drive," Xiaojun shook his head. He carried the dog carrier carefully. Hendery was always a stubborn one. He would still play with cats even when he knew he couldn't.

The car ride back was chaotic as the puppy kept barking.

**********************

Luna chose to ignore Yun and continued sewing the dress.
"You hear me, Luna?"
"Yes. My misery is your joy."
"Good. Now listen to whatever I say or I'll make you live in a hell hole."

Luna laughed when Yun threatened her. "Yun, I am already living in a hell hole. Because of you."

"I'll make it 2 times worse."
"Whatever."
"Luna, listen to me or leave the fucking house it's not your place," Yun grabbed a fistful of her hair and yanked it.

"Not my place. Yun please wake up and sm....."

Mrs Hua walked into the room and called Luna to help her. Quickly Yun released his grip.

"Break up," he whispered hard as she walked away.

In the next room, Luna looked around looking for what she needed to do.

"You promised, Luna."
"Mother, you heard everything?"
"Yes. I did."
"And I'm the one at fault here?"
"You promised to not tell him."
"But mother...."
"You promised, Luna. That's the least you can do because I raised you all these while," Mrs Hua reminded Luna of the bitter truth.

"Yeah. I promised. I'm sorry," she smiled bitterly. "If you excuse me, I have a floor of beads to clean," Luna exited the store room.

It's a lie.

**************************

"Well, good for you, you look happy and healthy, not me
If you ever cared to ask
Good for you, you're doin' great out there without me, baby
God, I wish that I could do that
I've lost my mind, I've spent the night
Cryin' on the floor of my bathroom
But you're so unaffected, I really don't get it
But I guess good for you"

Luna jammed to Good 4 U as she cleaned the beads off the floor. The sun went down and she had more beads to sew on the dress.

All alone in the store room, she sew the beads one by one. At the back of her head, is her screaming to just leave everything and never look back. But she knew she couldn't.

It was 10 pm when she finally finished the dress. Luna hung the dress on the rack, cleaned up some more and locked the boutique. She walked past the dumpling house.

"Luna you're late today?" Kelly stopped her. "You guys too?"

"Yeah, someone made a last minute huge order. We had to make it work," Kelly smiled. "Where's Hendery?" Luna asked when she didn't see him. Kelly was about to answer her when they heard Hendery screaming Luna's name.

"DeLuna!!!!" He ran towards them and hugged Luna. Xiaojun shook his head as he trailed from behind. "Kelly, he played with cats," Xiaojun snitched on him which resulted to Hendery being pinched. Luna laughed and reached into her bag.

"Tissue for the snot and antihistamine for those watery eyes," Luna placed it in his palm. "I have to go. Got to catch the bus," she was about to leave but Hendery stopped her.

"We can drop you off," he turned to Xiaojun who nodded slowly. "Luna this is DJ a.k.a....."

"The sad second male lead. I know you. Hi. I'm Luna," Luna shook Xiaojun's hand.

"I am not sad second male lead. Come on. Is this what Hendery told you?"
"Nope. Hala told me."
"You know Hala?"
"Sure. I grew up with her."

************************

Luna climbed up the stairs humming to the song that was playing in Xiaojun's car. 

The moment she stepped into the house a single can of beer hit her in the head. Luna picked it up and threw it away, ignoring Yun and his mumbles.

Luna was half asleep when she finished showering. She opened the fridge and took a bottle of water and made her way to her bedroom, stopping midway to pick up another can of beer off the floor. 

"What the hell? Yun. Let me go," Luna almost fell on the floor when Yun suddenly pushed her to the wall. He started to nuzzle on her neck.

"Yun!!!!!" Luna pushed him hard and quickly ran to her room. She slammed the door shut and blocked it with a chair.

"Luna. You okay?"

Be it big or small, short or tall. It's unfair.