27

Another usual day where Hendery delivered dumplings to Luna's shop.

He placed the food on the table and waited for Luna to finish entertaining her client.

"Sit there for a while," Luna pointed to an empty seat. Hendery sat down and pulled out his phone.

"Candy crush? Really?" Luna pulled another chair and sat beside him. He stopped playing and turned to her. "16 dollars as usual ma'am," he jokingly asked for payment.

They hung out for a while, talking about how he couldn't believe the fact Hala and Luna knew each other.

"I still can't believe it."
"Oh believe it, Hendery."
"Okay, what's Hala's favourite colour?"

"She loves cream, white and pink. She likes chocolates, hates cucumbers and tomatoes but loves spaghetti bolognese. She had a pet rat in school named Lily but it died because someone forgot to feed it," Luna basically spelled everything to him.

"What about you? What do you like?" he changed his question. She smiled. A smile that made his heart skipped a beat.

******************

"Dumpling brother! Don't forget to come to my birthday the day after tomorrow !" Yue shouted at him as he walked away.

He pushed the door open and melted into his seat. "What's wrong?" Kelly looked up from her hand. She was folding dumplings. He shrugged and sighed.

"Kelly... . Am I crazy?"
"Probably. You are a little short up there," Kelly teased him. Hendery chuckled. "You're probably right."

He spent the rest of his day contemplating whether he should speak up or no. He was clearly bothered but nobody asked him anything. They knew that if he's ready, he'd talk.

It was midnight and he was already on his bed but he can't seem to fall asleep. Slowly he opened his window and climbed onto the roof.

"Go to bed, Hendery!" he could hear Kelly shouting from her window. He laughed and pat the empty space beside him. "Come over Kelly."

Kelly dragged her blanket and some snacks to his room. "What's bugging you?" She popped open one of the chips and started munching. Hendery shrugged. Instead he leaned on her shoulder.

"You know Kelly, I should've never started things."
"I can't keep up. What's this about?"

The night soon turned to day. And his scales grew back telling him it's time to go back to his throne.

********************

Kelly often wondered how life would be without her one and only little brother. She spent most of her time with him especially since he's home. They grew up apart most of their lives and now, she just wants to make it all up for the lost time.

She's willing to stay up and listen to him rambling about little things and she's fine with it. It's true when people say we often take people for granted.

"You know the last time we hung out like this was the day before dad sent me to the States."
"Yeah and we were crying our eyes out like dad is separating us for good."

"Remember he came here and hugged both of us?" Hendery chuckled. "Yes. He hugged us for a second before slapping the back of our heads saying we're the most dramatic kids," Kelly laughed remembering the good old days. Hendery let out a heavy sigh.

"You resent that old man?"
"A lot, Kelly. A lot," he nodded slowly.

Kelly pulled him close and ruffled his hair. "Dad wanted the best for you."
"By sending me away? For what exactly?"

"He wanted you to feel normal. He knew that if you're here with us all of us would baby you like today. He wanted you to grow up like others," she reasoned with him. But even herself hated their father's decision to sent Hendery away.

"I spent so much time away that I couldn't even meet the old man for the last time."
"He was proud of you. Even if he's here today, he'd be so proud of you."
"Yeah proud of me because I quit studying halfway... ."

"Hendery, he was always proud of you. You're his only son. He just wanted the best for you. That's is. You spent your first years of living in the hospital. You think he'd want to let you go on purpose? It wasn't easy for him too. But he..." Kelly stopped when Hendery pinched her lips.

"He wanted me to feel normal. I know. I felt that. I just wish we had more time together," he cut her off.
She pulled him to a hug and they sat there in silence for a while.

The black and white cat jumped onto the roof and made it's way towards them. But it stopped few steps away and lied down. "Kelly, can we keep it?"

"No. You're allergic to cats," she pushed his forehead softly. He laughed. "Dad would say yes.."

"That's why he sent you away!" Kelly slapped his arm softly. She expected him to laughed or at least smiled. But he didn't. Instead he sighed heavily.

********************

"Kelly, I don't want to hurt people," his eyes were locked onto the black and white cat. Kelly got up and lifted the cat. She placed the cat on her lap.

"Why are you saying this?"
"I like her. But that's it. I can't fall in love."
"Why? Why can't you fall in love, Hendery?" She shifted her attention to him. The cat was purring on her lap. Hendery stole a pet on the cat's head. He shrugged.

"I don't know..." he shrugged. Kelly knew where he was going. She took a deep breath and asked him, "If you got hit by a car, die and leaving her because you're dead, is that your fault?"

He nodded slowly.

"Idiot! It's not your fault." Kelly was a few inches away from slapping him hard. But she stopped.

"Sure if I die in an accident it's not. But look at it this way, who would want to sacrifice their love and all for a person who could die any time?"
"Hendery...."
"Food for thought, ain't it?" He smiled bitterly.

"Kelly, I watched how broken mom was when dad passed away and I don't want to put anyone through that. Ever."

And he shall swim a thousand miles more to just be able to hear her voice. Singing the song of the broken hearts.