45

"Never force her. She's a ticking time bomb," Hala told him in a serious tone. He understood.

The same waiter served them their meal.

"Here you go. Spaghetti for the man and a salad with dressing on the side for the teddy bear," he placed the plate on the table.

Hendery couldn't believe his ears. "Excuse me what?" He quickly asked. The waited just chuckled and walked away.

"Kim Yunso!" Luna called for the waiter.

"Yes miss?" He stopped his track.
"Can you help me?"
"My pleasure."
"Repeat what you said just now."
"My pleasure?"
"No. No. The part you said when you served me this," Luna pointed to her salad bowl. The server smiled.

"It was a compliment, miss."
"I didn't hear you. What was it? Teddy bear? Or I'm fucked eay?" Luna smiled sweetly. Her smile was so artificial that even Hendery felt her sarcasm to his bones.

The waiter gulped. "Miss, I can't serve you if you keep talking in slurs."

"Oh, so me talking in slurs is unacceptable. I see," Luna nodded her head sarcastically. It was chilly there. Nobody said anything.

"But, your fat phobic remark is accepted? Such amazing policy. Well, that's all. Chop chop," Luna shooed him away. She turned to see Hendery staring at her.

"You're a fucking time bomb, Luna."
"Oh, a time bomb is not even close," Luna chuckled.

Hendery dug into his meal. He knew Luna didn't even touch her meal. "Hey, wanna taste mine?"

Honestly Luna didn't know where it all came from. It just did. The manager came to apologise and even offered complimentary desserts which both Hendery and Luna refused.

"It's more than just free dessert or getting your meal comped. It's manners and respect," Hendery refused politely.

***********************

Luna was silent for the rest of the meal. She just fiddled with her salad, poking her fork through the veggies again and again.

"Look at that girl. So pretentious," it was just a whisper, but it was clear.
"I know. A salad for what? With a body like her, I won't even drink. Pftttt."
"That purple dress looks like a shopping bag on her. Poor fashion choice too."

Hendery looked up and saw Luna frozen in her seat. She didn't react. She was just frozen. It sucked. Hendery couldn't fathom why people are so mean to others. It was their first date and every single stranger chose to ruined it for them.

"Honey, would you still love me if I look like her?" a lady whispered to her partner. She pointed slightly to Luna.

"Okay that's it! That is enough. Luna let's go," Hendery got up and pulled Luna's arm. He carried her handbag for her and they left.

Luna pulled her arm away from him but he dragged her. Not saying a word. "Hendery stop," she stopped walking. He stopped and turned to her.

"This is why I asked you. Are you sure?"
"Luna it's not you. It's them. It's everyone around you," his voice hardened. It was a rare sight for anyone to see him like that. Luna smiled.

"Well, I'm the elephant in the room. Don't worry I'm fine."

"You're not. Because if you are, you won't be hurt like this. It sucks. I thought we could do something fancy for our first date and people can't even keep their mouth shut. Is it so hard to be nice?" He mumbled on and on.

"Hendery. Hey, it's okay," she tapped his arm softly.

"It's not okay! He was our server. He shouldn't say that. You, work at that boutique, don't tell me you've never met any clients who aren't the prettiest in the world."

"Well sure. But with the right dress, they're beautiful and they're beautiful when they're happy," she nodded. Luna remembered her clients. Each of them were so beautiful in their own way. She smiled.

"How can you say that to others but not yourself?" He asked her. She shrugged. "It's easier said than done."

Hendery sighed. He turned to Luna who was humming to Coldplay Yellow as they walked around the mall.

"I'm sorry," he apologised. She turned to him. "Eh why?" She smiled. "It's out first date and it's ruined," he sighed heavily.

"Who said it's ruined? I enjoyed it. Especially the ice skating part," she giggled. "Besides, fancy dates can be anywhere," she added before pulling his hand and ran towards the car.

"Car keys please," she held her hand out.
"Why?"
"Let's meet Leo."

*************************

He wondered who's Leo. The car drove past some housing areas, and was heading to an animal shelter.

"Are we going to the animal shelter? Is Leo a puppy?" Hendery asked, sounding all excited. Luna chuckled. "Nope. Just wait okay?"

The drove past the animal shelter and went deeper. Eventually they arrived at a columbarium. "Wh..Why are we here?" He asked when she turned of the engine.

"To meet Leo. Let's go," she pulled him arm. Hendery followed her as she dragged him around.
They stopped in front of an urn. A photo was attached to it.

"Hey, I'm here with a friend. Hendery," she pulled Hendery closer to her. "Hendery, this is Leo. My brother."

"Born in the same year?"
"Yeah. Twins."
"But his eyes are light brown-ish?"
"Biracial twins. They exist you know," Luna chuckled.

Leo and Luna were polar opposite. She looked so much like their father and Leo was an exact copy of their mother. Hendery laughed when she stressed on the word biracial twins.

"Well if you told me earlier I won't ask. But you didn't," he mocked her tone. Luna gasped. She pretended to be offended and slapped his arm.

They laughed. "Leo, Hendery is a nice friend. He...."

Hendery pushed her aside. "I'm her boyfriend. Nice to meet you. Maybe we can hang out with each other soon," he sounded casual as if Leo was a person standing in front of him. "I think she likes me more than I like her but let's keep that between us," he whispered close to the urn.

"I can hear you," Luna slapped his arm. He laughed.

In all honesty, I would never want to let you go. But sometimes, love hurts. And sometimes love alone is not enough.