65

When you smile the sun shines

Their soups were piping hot. Hendery mixed his rice into the soup.

"You need a hair tie?" He asked Luna when her hair kept flying everywhere. She shook her head.

"I have hair clip," she pulled out a giant hair claw and put her hair into a messy bun just so it'd be easier to eat the soup. She also mixed her rice with the soup just like how Hendery did it.

"I've been dying to try the food here. Guess now is the perfect time," Hendery blew on his spoon slowly. Luna put a piece of meat on his spoon.

"A perfect bite needs everything on the spoon," she winked. Luna waited until Hendery ate his first bite.

*******************************

How can you still love with all your heart even when the whole world disappoints you more than once.

She who loves with her all entire being, the one who acts as if nothing could hurt her but is actually very sensitive towards everything. The one who learnt to put on a tough exterior while shattering inside day by day.

Hendery saw the bracelet dangling as she moved her hand. He smiled and reached out for her hand. "You're still wearing it."

"Yeah. It reminds me of you. And that day," she nodded. She laced her fingers with his and let him lead the way that day. She had no idea where they were heading but she trusted him.

Her hand was warm despite the chilly weather. He occasionally stole glances at her. Her cheeks were flushed due to the cold and her eyes twinkled whenever the lights hit.

Slowy, he made a mental note of how she looked that day. Her smile. Her eyes, her skin. Everything. He didn't want that day to end.

**************************

He wasn't big on anything. Not much of an I love you person nor the one who shows his appreciations with expensive gifts. He's just there. Existing and radiating comfort she never felt. He's just there making sure she was heard and felt.

That's how it feels like to be in love with Hendery.

She realised he was stealing glances occasionally. She realised how he squeezed her palm tightly as they walked past the sea of people. She also realised how his hands weren't the same like before. She realised how much he has changed. Not necessarily bad but not necessarily good either.

"Stop looking at me and just take a picture," Luna had enough when he glanced at her for the nth time that day. He smiled and shook his head.

"Even photos can't do justice," he softly touched her cheek. Cold. His hands were cold. Luna quickly put her hand on his, while her other hand was still interlaced with his right hand.

"But I want a photo. Let's take one. Together," Luna nodded, assuring him she really wanted a photo.

***********************

Luna smiled the moment she realised where he was taking him. "Who told you about this? Hala?" She asked him as they hung their coats on the coat rack. He nodded slowly.

"Art gallery kinda day. A bit boring but you'll love it. I'm sure," he winked and pulled her to the nearest art piece.

They walked deeper and deeper into the art exhibition, listening to the tour audio.

"Accomplice is a piece that tells a story of two souls missing each other but separated...."

"...... separated by fate. One living and one in the afterlife, longing but can never be together. This painting can be read as either lovers or family. The stitches in the middle are the line life separating them...."

Hendery turned to her when she could spit the text word by word without even listening to the audio. "Luna..."

"Do you know why there's stitches there?" her eyes were still fixed onto the painting. "It's because the painter's daughter accidentally ripped the canvas. Do you know who the daughter is?"

"You..." he leaned on her shoulder. Luna immediately bursted into laughter because she knew he had to bent down to be able to do that.

"You know you're one oddball, Hendery. But you're my oddball," she turned to him and softly slapped his forehead.

It was absolute silence in the gallery.

"Hendery, thank you."
"I'll take kisses as payment," he winked. Luna rolled her eyes and scoffed yet she leaned in and gave him a kiss.

***************************

Luna and Leo were running in the art room when she tripped and fell onto one of the canvas and ripped it in half.

Instead of scolding her for ripping it in half, her mother praised her for admitting her mistakes and they fixed the canvas together.

"Kinda like an accomplice. Both you and Leo are helping me fix this," she was so beautiful. A mother who gave her everything for her two children. Luna can never forget the smile. She was 5 but it was ingrained in her memory so deep that she could always revisit that day whenever she wanted to.

The softest, kindest woman she knew. Sofia Fava. A name so unfamiliar. Of course. Hazel almost green eyes and fair skinned. A tall brunette from the land of love who fell in love with a mediocre village boy. An Italian who travelled halfway around the globe just to be with a person who loves her.

Named her children Flower of the Moon and Flower of the Lion, she left a piece of her with them. The names that they bear.

************************

Hendery could feel her lips on his. It was soft but trembling as if she was nervous. His heart beat slowed down when her fingers softly interlaced with his.

It's crazy that despite knowing so much about her, he also knew so little of her. But one there's one thing about her that he's sure about, is that he loves her.

Throughout the whole art tour, she smiled ever so brightly. He knew she was home there and then. Surrounded by her comfort. He was so sure he'll miss that smile of her.

Hendery was letting go of her. Slowly.

I hope the butterflies in you shall fly further even without me.