18

"Luna run!! Run!!" Hendery half shouted when Luna almost got caught.

"I don't know how to play this game!!"
"Just run!"

"Okay kids enough games. It's school night," Kelly stopped them from bickering.
"But mom....." Hendery whined. Kelly automatically slapped his arm.

"Mom my ass!!" They bursted into laughter. Luna put down the controller and helped Kelly cleaned up.

Truthfully Luna wanted to go home but she was scared of Yun. Luna washed the glasses quietly.

********************

She tossed and turned on her bed but she couldn't sleep. Luna slowly got off the bed and sat on the floor. She reached for her phone and texted Yue.

Yue: I'm at Hana's room tonight. Don't worry about me. You okay?
🌙: I'm fine too. See you tomorrow.

Luna lied down on the floor. It was cold but she stayed down there for a while. The room was dark, only lights from the street could be seen peeking through the curtains. She got up and made her way to the window.

Slowly she opened the window and sat by the window sill.

"Luna, you'll fall," Hendery's voice startled her. She searched for his voice and saw him sitting on the roof outside of his window.

"Wanna hang? Come over here," he pat the empty space beside him. Luna nodded and quickly made her way to his room.

She stood by his window. "Come here. The roof won't collapse," he assured her and held his hand out. Luna climbed out the window and sat beside him.

It was a full moon. They didn't say anything. It was quiet. "Luna.... Moon..." he broke the silence. She turned to him and nodded.

"Yeah. Hua DeLuna. Flower of the Moon," she rested her head on her knees. "Wait, Hua? I thought Li?"

She shook her head and smiled. "How can you be Hua when your brother is Li?" He asked her.

"Who said he's my brother?" She shrugged. Hendery was confused. "Aren't you aunty Hua's daughter?"

"Nope. I am not."
"Wait, what????"
"She's my aunty, silly. Not my mother," she giggled and buried her face in her knees. Slowly, he could hear her giggling.

*********************

Hala turned to the sleeping figure beside her. Physically she's there, mentally she wasn't. She contemplated her decisions again and again.

"You know, there's still time," Lucas mumbled and rolled over to the other side. Hala sighed and wrapped her arms around him, pulling him closer.

"No.... ."
"You're contemplating and hesitating. Everyone can see that," he pushed her arms away, breaking the hug.
"Lucas... don't do this."
"Wu Hala, you're hurting me and yourself," he got off the bed and took his pillow with him. He slammed his body onto the sofa and fell back asleep.

**********************

He took off his blanket and wrapped it around Luna.
"I'm not cold," she looked up and shook her head. "You sure?"
"Yes. I'm sure. It's okay," she chuckled and nodded.

"If you're cold, why are you out here?" She asked him. He was about to answer her when they both heard Mrs Wong's voice.

"Do you kids plan to sleep in the cold?"
"No mother. We we're just going inside. Right Luna?" He turned to her desperately needing her to play along.
"Yeah, mrs Wong. Let's go?" She got up and entered the room through the window. Hendery trailed after her. Luna quickly slipped into her room and closed the door.

By force of habit, she pushed a small box in the room and put it against the door to block it. She sat on the bed and pulled the covers.

*********************

She woke up in sheer panic. It was 7 am and she jumped off the bed so quickly that she almost fell to the ground. For a second she froze and assessed her surroundings. It wasn't her room. It finally clicked and she remembered where she was.

Slowly she opened the door and exited the room.

"Hendery go and wake Luna up for breakfast!"
"Okay, mom!!"

They met halfway through the hall. He smiled. "Lets eat breakfast."

Luna stepped into a warm kitchen. Food was on the table. It wasn't the usual breakfast she'd have at home but it felt cozy.

There were toasts and some cereals. "Do you want eggs and sausages?" Kelly asked. She stood before the stove, frying some eggs. Luna shook her head. "It's okay," she refused.

"I... I'll go and take a shower," she tried to avoid eating but mrs Wong stopped her.

"Let's eat first, okay?"

She sat down at the dining table and stared at the empty bowl. "Want cereal?"

"No thanks."
"Toast and butter?"
"No thank you. I'll drink milk," she quickly chugged on her milk. The others nodded in agreement and ate their breakfast.

When everyone was done, there was still a piece of toast left. Luna took the last piece of the toast and chewed on it slowly, making sure nobody was watching only, someone did watched her.

*********************

Hua DeLuna Flower of the Moon. A name so beautiful. She often wondered why was she named such way but she never had the chance to ask.

She climbed up the stairs and prayed nobody's home. Slowly she unlocked the door.

"Pig, so you do have a home?" Yun's voice stopped her track. She looked at the clock and it was noon.

"We couldn't open the store today because of you," he stood before her and pushed her head repeatedly.
"What is in that stupid head of yours?! You fucking idiot!" He slapped her head hard. Luna bit her tongue. She didn't want to bicker with him.

As she walked away, he pulled her hair hard. "Do this again next time and I swear you're dead."

"Yun that's enough," Mrs Hua stopped him. He scoffed and left the house.

************************

Behind the door, Luna sat down on the floor. She took off her makeup.

"Yes I'm the stupid pig. This pig who basically raised you. This pig who cooks and cleans and takes good care of you. The pig who would do all sorts of shits just so you'd live in this house comfortably. Yet I'm the pig who caused every ounce of misery in you. Yes. I am that pig, huh?" Luna wiped down the tears away and proceeded to wash her face.

In the end, she had to be the good "little" sister.

She wished for the waves to consume her as a whole so she could be one with the prince who yearned for her. But alas, the waves couldn't for she was cursed. The land is hers and she shall never meet the sea ever again.