42

She woke up to the sound of pans falling in the kitchen. Quickly Luna got off her bed. She pushed away the chair blocking the door and ran out. She saw Mrs Hua, trying to clean up the mess she made on the floor.

"Mother, why didn't you ask me to do it?" She grabbed a broom and some rag to clean up. She was sure it was Yun who left the mess like that.

"I didn't see the pot at the edge of the table," Mrs Hua picked up the remains of instant noodles on the floor. Luna couldn't understand how Yun could just do about anything and Mrs Hua wouldn't say a word.

"Let me clean this. What do you want for breakfast?" Luna ushered Mrs Hua to the dining table and proceeded to clean on her own.

It was quiet. Only the sound of her scrubbing the floor could be heard.

"Luna. You shouldn't live life this way. I am so sorry," Mrs Hua broke the silence. Luna stopped scrubbing. She just froze on the floor not knowing how to respond. "Luna, I'm sorry I failed you. I failed your father," the elder's voice cracked. Luna sat down on the floor defeated.

She started sobbing. Luna tried so hard to stop sobbing but she couldn't. Her sobs intensified as she felt her heart shattering into pieces.

**********************

Yun peeked through his door. He heard the noises in the kitchen, yet he ignored it. However, he couldn't when he heard Luna started to sob.

Slowly he opened his door and saw her sobbing on the kitchen floor. A small part in him wanted to just dash out and comfort her. But his ego was too big. Instead, he closed the door shut and ignored everything.

Why did I turn into a monster I swore I'll never become?

*************************

Hendery stared at his ceilings. He often contemplated whether he should jump out of his bed or just pretended dead and wait until Kelly barge in.

That day he decided to roll out of his bed. He lazily made his way to the kitchen but stopped when someone rung the bell.

"You're early?" he sniggered when he saw Luna at the door.
"Gotta hurry before Yun wakes up. Can I do makeup here?" She held up a small bag. He nodded and she walked in.

"Right on time. Let's eat breakfast," Kelly pulled Luna to the dining table. "Good luck saying no," Hendery shrugged. He pulled a chair and sat on it.

The breakfast wasn't anything fancy. Simple rice and some eggs. They chatted over breakfast.

Hendery disappeared into his room soon after breakfast, allowing Luna to do her makeup in Kelly's room.

Kelly lied down on her bed as Luna put on her makeup. "Luna, wanna do some hair?" Kelly got off her bed and held the curling iron. "Go crazy," Luna gave her permission.

25 minutes later, Kelly put the iron down. "You have so many hair. I'm tired."

"That is why I don't style my hair. It's too much work ," Luna laughed and picked up the iron. She finished styling the remaining strands. Kelly sat down on the floor and fiddled with Luna's makeup.

"Wanna do eyeshadows?" Luna turned to Kelly.

**********************

Hendery buried his face in the pillow and squealed. She wore the dress. He felt so happy when he saw her in the dress. It was a feeling he couldn't even describe. He casually heard Luna and Kelly laughing from the next room.

He lied down on his bed and fiddled with his carrot plushie. The only person that crossed his mind right at that moment was DJ. It's probably late where DJ was, but he decided to text him anyway.

********************

Luna questioned the fact she agreed to go and ice skated with Hendery when she never even once skated. Luna froze when Kelly put a pink flower hair clip on her hair.

"Now, this reminds me of Luna from 10 years ago," Kelly smiled. "You remembered?"

"Of course I do. You've been here ever since. I watched you grew up more than Hendery," Kelly softly ruffled Luna's hair. Luna remembered how Kelly was so nice to her back then, and still so nice to her today.

The car ride was noisy. Hendery jammed to random songs on his playlist.

"I know this song!" Luna shouted when a familiar song played. "Sing!!" Hendery shouted back.

It's funny that one second we were strangers and the next we actually knew each other for years. Today, you're a comfort zone I've never expected. To more days in the future.

**********************

Honestly Luna didn't know why he'd ask her to hang out with him. They walked down the hall and headed to the ice rink.

"Hey, can I ask?" Luna turned to him.
"What is it? I don't do refunds," he teased her. Luna face palmed herself. Sometimes Hendery would blurt out the most nonsense thing.

"Why ice skating? Why me?"

"One. I love ice skating. Two. I usually go with Kelly but she can't because she's pregnant and is scared of falling. Three, I don't exactly have friends. You're basically my only friend around here. Four, I know you're dying to leave that house on off days," he winked. Luna shook her head in amusement.

"Fair answer. I accept."

They arrived at the ice rink but it was empty. What a sight. He handed her a pair of skates in her size. Luna shook her head. "I can't skate."

"I can. Come on. It'll be fun. I'll hold your hands. Then you can hold on to those training penguins," he pointed to some small penguins on the ice. Luna decided to trust him and went for it.

She held on to his hands tightly and let him led the way. They stopped at the centre of the ice rink. It was odd that the ice rink was empty.

"Why is this place empty?" Luna asked him the moment they stopped. Just before he could answer her, the whole place went pitch black.

Let's pretend we're in love.