38

Her hands were quick in the kitchen. Hendery sat on the chair and watched as she quickly get things done.

"Do you put this or this?" she pointed to some tofu and some fishcakes.

"Mom would put the tofu in but not fishcakes. Kelly hates them."
"Okay. No fishcakes," Luna turned around and continued cooking.

Kelly walked into the kitchen half awake. "Hendery, would mom kill me if I order seaweed soup for dinner?"

"Eh? You hate seaweed soup?"
"I kinda feel like it."

"I can make them. Got seaweed?" Luna placed a plate of omelette on the table. Both Kelly and Hendery shook their heads.

"Yue! Go buy some seaweed," Luna called Yue and threw her wallet to Yue. Yue caught it and left.

"There's no store around here Luna!" Kelly's eyes widened.

"You guys really don't know there's a shortcut huh? You can get to my house quicker than a car."

"I don't believe you," Hendery shook his head.

"There is. Trust me."

Kelly turned to Luna and tilted her head, "Pass through that old cemetery behind your housing area?"

"Bingo. Exactly that," Luna chuckled.

*************************

A few conversations later, she finished cooking dinner for everyone and was ready to serve the rice.

"I'll get the rice," Hendery took away her apron and hung it on the wall. He proceeded to fill in the rice bowls.

"Smells good," Mrs Wong walked in with a huge smile. "Oh you're here. With Yue. Had fun today, Yue?"

Yue nodded quickly. She is way more comfortable with Mrs Wong than her own stepmother. Then again, even Hala is awkward with her own mother.

Hendery placed the bowls on the table. And they ate their dinner over some conversations.

**********************

Luna watched Yue who was sound asleep. She rolled off the bed and stared out the window. She saw Hendery sitting on the same roof. Slowly, Luna opened the window and waved. He smiled and pat the empty space beside him.

"You like this roof," she said as she sat down on the cold cement.
"I can see the stars. Look up," he pointed to the sky. Luna looked up.

"Hey, Hendery."
"What?"
"Do you know what makes me smile?"
"I don't know. A dolphin?"
"Nope. Face muscles."

Hendery slapped his forehead hard. Luna and her never ending dad jokes. He laughed.

When he was done laughing, he turned to her. Luna was hugging her knees and resting her head on them. Her hair was long and it dangled off the roof.

"Stop staring at me," she mumbled.

"You know, those ladies at the store was plain mean," Hendery leaned on her. He rested his head on hers. He could hear Luna giggling.

"Old ladies are all like that."
"My mom is not. She is nice," Hendery objected.

"Well, your mom is nice. Like you. You're so nice," Luna smiled. She looked up to the sky and pointed to the moon. "Luna."

And know that you're shining brightly just like the moon, an ethereal beauty.

******************

The ride was quiet as Kelly and Yue were both asleep in the back seat. Luna stared out the window, counting the trees as their car sped through the road.

"Are we heading the right way?" Hendery asked.
"The map says we are on the right track," she assured him.

Once again it was quiet until Luna broke the silence. "I spy with my little eye something green."

"Trees, Luna. Trees," Hendery chuckled. They were surrounded by trees. What else could be green?

She giggled and shook her head. "Nope, a field."

"It's the same!"
"No. A field is filled with grass. You lose. Hey, do you know what......."

"I swear Luna if you do one more dad joke I will slap you," Yue inched forward and punched Luna's shoulder.

Hendery laughed. "Okay people, we have arrived!"

***********************

The sound of running water was clear. The creek was so serene and quiet. They carried their stuff and laid down the mat on the ground.

Moments later, Yue was already in the water. She splashed water to Luna and Hendery. "Come in!!!!"

Luna didn't know how, but suddenly she was in the water. She turned and held her hand out to Hendery. The moment he reached for her hand, she pulled him in.

They were kids again. Just like middle school all over again.

Nobody had ever seen Luna smiled so much and Kelly had never seen Hendery as happy as he was that day.

It's a regret the two were way too mature for their age at some point. Because when they got the chance to let it go, their innocence flowed.

Don't give up, Hendery.

**************************

Hala sat on the floor and flipped open the scrap book she made in high school. The pages were filled with memories and photos. Some were taken by her, others were by Wei.

She stopped at a photo of her and Wei. They were best friends. Wei was a lot like Luna. A comfort zone for Hala. Wei was the nicest. Never fighting back, but always giving.

"I miss you, Wei. I'm sorry," she apologised slowly.

Wei was found dead one morning. She hung herself on the school's roof. Remembering that day, Luna vowed to always be there for Luna. Because despite the fact she hated Luna before, Luna was the person who taught her love. The person who shaped her to be a person with compassion.

She reached for her phone and dialled Luna's phone number.

"DELUNA WHERE ARE YOU??! Why am I not invited?!" Hala half shouted when Luna answered her video call. Luna laughed and quickly showed her around.

"Is that Hendery and Yue playing in the water?"
"Yes. Apparently they're 7 year olds and I am the mom."
"Luna, you're our universal mother. Please."

Luna chuckled. She has accepted that fact. She sat on a rock and just showed Hala her surroundings.

Sometimes, home is not just a place. It's a person too. Comforting words and just presence. That's more than enough.