29

Hendery played with his phone as Luna cleaned the store. He just wanted the feeling of having a friend around. Same goes to Luna. They stayed like that for an hour. No conversation, nothing. Just enjoying each other's company.

"DeLuna!" Hendery broke the silence. Luna chuckled. "Why do you always call me by my full name?"

"Because that's your name?" He asked her back, confused. Luna nodded. "Fair. What is it?"

"How is it that you always have time to do makeup?"
"I wake up at 5 am everyday. Do the chores, cook, showers, do my makeup and come here. Does that answer your question?" Luna stopped whatever she was doing and turned to him. He nodded.

"You've always wondered about my makeup, huh?"
"Yes. You put on different looks every time. It's like you walk down an art gallery. Filled with different arts."

Luna chuckled at his comparison. An art gallery and her face? Not even close.

*******************

"Hendery," Kelly called for him. He looked up from his phone. She waved her hands to him. He sighed and lazily made his way to her.

Kelly smiled and handed him the gift he bought for Yue. "Go and make some friends. Live your life. Give it a shot. Don't worry," she messed up his hair. He nodded. Kelly still treats him like a child. And he loved that.

"Yue will come with Hala. Let's go," Luna held his wrist and they walked together to the bus stop.

"You know we can drive my car?" He said as he sat on the bench.
"The bus ain't bad too. Come on it's here," Luna smiled.

*********************

It's been a while since he last rode a bus. He was quiet in his seat. Luna turned to him and held her hand out.

"What?" Hendery was confused. She said nothing and just nodded at him. He reached for her hand and she squeezed his palm. Her hand was warm against his icy cold skin. For a moment, he loosened up.

"You should've told me that you're uncomfortable in busses."
"I'm not a spoilt brat, you know?"
"Yeah I know. If you are one, you won't make dumplings. Want to know who's a spoilt brat? Yun. He is a spoilt brat," Luna rolled her eyes. They made their way through the sea of people in the mall.

They picked up Yue's cake and made their way to the venue. Luna placed the cake on the table and they sat down.

"Hey, do you guys do this every year?"
"Yup. Every year ever since Yue was 7. It used to be us 3, Yue, Hala, and me. Then Jungwoo joined. Now, it's us 5 this year. Only Jungwoo is not here today," Luna nodded.

"Your birthday?"
"I guess they just wished me happy birthday. They sometimes forget though," she shrugged as if she couldn't care less about it. If only he knew what's inside her heart.

***********************

"Oh they're here. Do you want to sit beside Hala or me?" Luna asked Hendery. He tilted his head and pointed to the empty spot beside Luna. She smiled and pat the empty spot. He quickly got up and sat beside her.

"Luna!!!!!" Yue ran through the restaurant and sat down quickly. Hala shook her head as she followed the younger one.

Hala slapped Yue's arm. "Run like that again, I'll take back your birthday gift."

It felt kind of awkward for Hendery because of how well he and Hala knew each other but he was amazed at how natural Hala acted. For a moment he felt comfortable with them.

"I want to go to the toilet," Yue got off her seat. Luna followed her along leaving Hala and Hendery all alone.

It was quiet between them. No words exchanged.

Yue ran to the table. "Let's get ice cream??"

***********************

They huddled over the ice cream stand, each of them looking at the choices available.

"Hendery what flavour?" Luna asked him after a while of him staring at the choices. He hesitated. "Is strawberry okay?" She asked some more. Quickly he nodded.

Hendery realised that she only got 3 ice creams. He swiftly asked for a spoon from the cashier. "Luna, have a taste," he gave her the spoon.

"Nah, it's okay."
"Taste it please," he asked her again. Luna took the spoon and scooped tiny amount of ice cream.

"How does it taste like?" She turned to him when he asked her that.
"Sweet, a little tart and artificial," Luna was baffled yet she answered him. He smiled and ate the ice cream. It was weird but Hendery is weird so Luna let it go.

They were quiet in Hala's car. Yue was lost in dreamland while Hendery and Luna were both just quiet.

"Luna, do you guys have anyone to replace me on Wednesday?" Hala broke the silence.

"Oh shit. I forgot about that. No!!!" Luna scratched her non itchy head. Hala smiled and peeked at Hendery who was sitting in the back seat. "Hendery, can you go in my stead on Wednesday?"

"Where to?"
"The amusement park. I remembered you saying you've never been to one here," Hala gave him a subtle nod.
"Sure. Sounds fun." He shrugged.

******************

Hendery moved to the passenger seat when Luna and Yue got off. He was quiet in the car. His eyes were locked onto the scenery outside.

Hala made a turn and parked her car. "Why?" He turned to her. Hala took a deep breath.

"Well are you going to tell her or should I?"
"Tell who what?"

"Luna. That you're head over heels for her," Hala casually pushed his cheek softly like she used to before. Hendery chuckled and shook his head. "I can't. I can't hurt her."

Hala slammed her head on the headrest. "You and you can't hurt people complex. What's with that?" She sounded so frustrated. Hendery turned to her.

"Kinda like yours. A complex to change lovers every week until you really fell for a person who left you after 4 months," Hendery slapped Hala with facts on top of facts. She turned to him so quickly and spontaneously slapped his arm as hard as she could.

"Say that again and you will walk home, Hendery Wong."

He laughed out loud. One thing that doesn't change with Hala is that she was quick with her hands.

"But on a serious note, I can't."
"Why Hendery? Because your days are numbered?"

And I thought it was a well kept secret.