20

~Your skin
Oh yeah, your skin and bones
Turn in to something beautiful~

Hendery turned off his game console and leaned on the chair. "Why is it complicated?"

"Life is unfair, you know? Smart people don't have money. Rich people are dumb. Healthy looking people are sick and sickly looking people are perfectly fine and the list goes on," she talked in riddles. Hendery smiled upon hearing her answer.

"But that's what makes life fair. Because everyone got their fair share of misfortunes and no one is exempted from it."

"Touché my good man. Touché. I believe you know the answer why."
"Yun?"
"Exactly Yun."
"That doesn't make sense. Who is he to stop you from.... ."
"Because he is the head of the house. The only son," she cut him off.

"I'm an only son too! Hello?"

Luna laughed when Hendery got irritated. She knew where he was going and she understood him.

**********************

It was silent once again. Luna stopped and saw Hendery sleeping on the chair.

"Hendery. Hey wake up," she shook him softly.

"Five more minutes, Kelly," he mumbled and shifted his position. Luna chuckled and kept poking him.

"Wake up, Hendery. It's late," she once again tried to woke him up. He sat straight and turned to her with his eyes closed.

"No I don't want to buy any bananas, ma'am. I wanna buy a ring for my girlfriend," he said and lied back down on the table. At that point Luna couldn't brain anything and laughed out loud.

She laughed so much that she started to tear up.

"Babe, don't cry. Here's a banana?" He mumbled and handed his left hand to Luna.

"Hendery!! Wake up!" She slapped his hand.

**********************

Hala set up the table and placed the main dish at the centre. She waited for Lucas. Usually he'd be home by then. An hour passed but hasn't came.

Hala reached for her phone and called him.

"Babe, aren't you coming home for dinner?" She could hear noises in the background. Sounded like a club of some sort.
"Sorry, I'll be late tonight. I got extra things to do," he ended the call without even listening to what Hala wanted to say next.

Hala knew he was heartbroken. Hell, who wouldn't? He loved her and she loved another. But for some unknown reason, Hala was hurt by his actions. She covered the food and made her way to the bedroom.

********************

"Whatever you heard or saw, pretend it never happened. Please," Hendery begged her. Luna was still laughing her ass off.

"Are you even listening to me??" He almost threw his phone at her.
"I heard and saw nothing. Don't worry," she assured him as she wiped away her tears. Her mascara melted off due to her laughing so much.

"But may I ask?" She asked as soon as her laughter died. He nodded.
"How much banana did the aunty sold you?"

"Luna!!!!" his whole face turned red.

Hendery watched as she continued sewing beads on the dress.
"Aren't you bored? Hungry?" He asked her.
"Bored. Yes. Hungry? Nah. Are you hungry?" She stopped and looked at him. He nodded.

"Go home, Hendery. Go get dinner."
"Then are you staying here?"
"Yeah. This dresses won't finish themselves."
"Aren't you scared?" His eyes widened when Luna told him she'd stay.

She chuckled and shook her head. "The ghosts here know me well. They'd probably just sew something in the next room later," she was so unfazed when she said that. Hendery didn't know whether he should cry or laugh.

**********************

Luna didn't know how she ended up in the dumpling restaurant. All she knew was Hendery persuading her to accompany him back to the restaurant because she scared him with the ghost story.

She watched him ate the piping hot noodles.
"Want some?" He asked her for the 3rd time and for the 3rd time she refused. "Not hungry."

"Not hungry or you can't eat?" He dropped a bomb. Luna froze for a few seconds. She looked outside and watched as the night passed.

The smell of the spicy noodles were so good. Her stomach rumbled as she heard him slurping.

"Luna," he called her and held a piece of dumpling. Luna shook her head but he wouldn't back off.
"Okay, just one," she took a bite of the dumpling. He waited for her to finish chewing. When she was done, he asked her.

"Is it good?"
"Yeah. It's good," she nodded and he smiled. "Mom! Luna said the dumplings I made is better than yours!!" He shouted from across the restaurant.

"Aunty Wong! I did not say that!!!" Luna shouted back. She slapped his arm hard. They could hear Mrs Wong and Kelly laughing from the kitchen. Luna shook her head at him.

Kelly came to the table putting another bowl of noodles. "You do know that I can make better dumplings than you and mom. I just don't want to," she pulled a chair and sat on it.

"Not gonna believe until proven," Hendery mocked her.

Luna smiled at the sight of the two bickering. For some reason she felt the bond between Hendery and Kelly is so different than hers and her siblings.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to hit there," Hendery apologised when he accidentally grazed against Kelly's breasts. "Chill. They're non existent anyway," Kelly shrugged and slurped on her noodles.

'Why did he apologised?' A single question popped in her head, but Luna said nothing.

*******************

The waves crashed and the wind blew hard. Ula watched as the sun slowly sink down the horizon. She sat on the sand, hugging her knees.

The song of my people I sing to you
Calling out to the ones under the waves
The sun sets down and the moon comes up
But the love shall never be said across.

Voices of our people reach to you
Yearning for.......... .

"Luna, what was your dreams?" He stopped reading and looked up to her. Luna stopped sewing. She pushed away the dress and smiled at him.

"I wanted to be an engineer. Yours?"

"Me? Engineer but I quit at the last minute," he closed the novel he was reading.

Funny isn't it? We dreamt the same.