35

Hendery fell asleep on the chair. He was all snuggled up in his hoodie and was fast asleep, leaving Luna to sew the beads on her own.

"Hendery, talk to me. I'm bored," Luna threw some beads on him.
"I'm up. I'm up. What's the sitch?" He pushed away his hoodie and yawned.

"I'm bored."
"It's 2 am, Luna. People are sleeping at this hour. Except you who sew beads. Hey, wanna eat midnight snacks??" His eyes lit up at the thought of snacks. Luna hesitated until both of them heard her stomach growled.

"Okay that's a yes! Let's go," he got up and pulled her hand. She couldn't say no. They both walked down the street and headed straight to the convenience store.

***********************

Luna watched Hendery piling up junk foods in the basket. "Hendery, isn't that a bit much?"

"Do you want me to sleep or no?"
"Fine. Fill her up," Luna gave in and picked a pack of gummy bears. "Just one? Get more. My treat," he raised his basket.

Watching Hendery hoarding snacks made Luna rethink of her own life decisions. A person who couldn't taste much still has the passion to eat, while her? She was afraid of eating.

They cleared the table and laid down their feast of snacks. Instant sausages, chips, cookies, drinks and more filled the table. Luna sat down and watched Hendery cracked open the packets.

"Eat up," he slid the pack of sausage to her. "You know I don't eat in front of people."

"I know. I can see that, but assume I'm not here and dig in."
"It's not easy, Hendery."
"Nothing is easy. Especially routines or habits," he opened his own sausage and waited for Luna to open hers.

"You are killing me Hendery," she mumbled yet she bit into the snack. "Good girl. That's a good first step," he smiled.

Don't tell me home is a place. It's a person too.

******************

"Luna, catch!" He threw a gummy bear to Luna. The gummy bear bounced off her cheek. She laughed. "I can't see the gummy. It's too small."

It wasn't his first time seeing her without makeup. She seemed so comfortable with and without and it made him wonder why men would often say women wear makeup for men.

"DeLuna, what's your favourite song?"
"Coldplay Yellow. Hands down my all time favourite song."
"Reasons why?"
"The lyrics are beautiful."

......Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow......

"Have you found your Yellow though?" Hendery suddenly asked Luna which made her laugh.

"It's just a colour."
"Assuming that's a no then."

"No. I haven't and most probably never will. Nobody wants to be my yellow and besides yellow is just a colour. It can't mean that deep anyway," she shrugged. Luna took a sip of her drink.

"You sure nobody wants to be your yellow? If there's somebody?"

Luna left his question hanging.

Your skin
Oh yeah, your skin and bones
Turn in to something beautiful

***********************

The sun rose and both Luna and Hendery were asleep in their chairs. By some sort of emergency body alarm, Luna jolted up and panicked.

"Oh I'm not at home," she closed back her eyes for a few seconds before cursing. "Shit I have to open the store."

Luna got up to clean their mess but there was no mess. It was squeaky clean. She froze for a moment. Who cleaned up? The food packets, the crumbs were all gone.

"I cleaned them after you fell asleep."
"I thought you were scared?" Luna turned to Hendery. "I ran. I ran for my life to the bathroom and back here. I almost crap my pants but other than that, it was nothing," he shrugged smugly. Luna laughed. That was believe able. Classic Hendery. Over the span of almost a year knowing him, Luna made a hypothesis of Hendery is a baby.

"Luna don't believe him. He was scared shitless when I came in," Yue entered the room with damp hair and smelling like strawberries.

"Dad sent you here?"
"Yeah. Mama Wu and me had some misunderstandings."

"At 530 am?!" Hendery half shouted. Yue nodded. "That's kinda normal with Mama Wu. I wish summer would end soon." Yue sat down on a chair and wiped her hair dry.

Kids her age are always excited for summer. But Yue loves school days more. "What's summer when you have a dysfunctional family." She often would say that.

"Have any plans in mind?" Hendery broke the silence.

"Picnic sounds nice but that's impossible. Dad's too busy and Mama Wu is not the best. Summers are wedding season and my friends are all away for vacation. I guess a picnic on the floor of my bedroom again it is."

**********************

Hendery stared at Yue for a moment. He then turned to Luna. "What if we go on a picnic then? It's summer and you're supposed to enjoy it."

Yue's eye lit at the suggestion. She turned to Luna, her eyes were filled with hope. "If mom says yes. Sure."

Yue jumped with joy. "I am calling mom!!" She squealed and exited the store room. Luna turned to Hendery.

"And where are we supposed to go to?"
"I don't know. The furthest I've been is the amusement park with you guys. Lead the way, fair maiden. I shall be your chauffeur," he pushed Luna out of his way and made his way to the toilet.

Luna shook her head. She remembered she once went to a beach with Jungwoo and his sister. Yun beat the crap out of her. That was the last time she ever went out with friends.

"Mom said yes but to leave before they arrive and come home in 2 days," Yue ran into the store room.
"Fucking hell, Yun!" Luna cussed and picked up her stuff and Hendery's

"Hendery! We need to scram now or all of us are dead!"
"On my way!"

The three of them quickly exited the store and ran out, catching a glimpse of mrs Hua and Yun arriving.

"RUN!!!" Yue ran leaving them behind.

It's like high school all over again.