85

He was quick on his hands. One thing he could do well was dumplings. He'd do it with his eyes closed and it'll look perfect every time.

"You get it?" He asked when he was done explaining.  Luna laughed and shook her head.
"I'm sorry I was too busy staring at you."

'Is she flirting with me?' Hendery panicked slightly inside. While he was panicking, Luna reached for a piece of dough and repeated his steps.

"Like this?" She held up her finished product.
"You said you don't know how to fold them."
"I don't. But you just showed me how," she placed the finished dumpling on a plate.

Hendery scoffed, "The next thing you're gonna tell me, oh I can't make a decent dumpling fillings and proceed to make a perfect one."

"Hendery," she pulled his chin. "I can't," she wiped some flour on his cheeks and ran away.

"Luna!!!!!!"

"HELP ME YANGYANG!!!" Luna ran and hid behind the half awake Yangyang.

"Guys. Guys. Please have some respect for single people in this house," he mumbled groggily yet he held on to Luna.

"Yangyang, move or I will put flour on you too," Hendery held his hands out.

"Luna.. run Luna! I'll save you!" Yangyang hugged Hendery in order to stop him while Luna ran away.

Just like kids, huh?

*********************

One of those days where the restaurant got super hectic during lunch hour.

"Luna!!! Table 4 ordered 2 sets or 4?"
"2!"
"Mom is table 6 done??"
"Please someone get table 7!"

Ah the sound of people rushing and eating filled the air. Luna turned to Hendery who was at his full speed, folding the dumplings.

"Don't stare at me," Hendery put a piece of dough on Luna's palm. She chuckled. Luna too was quick with her hands. Orders were non stop.

"Why don't Yangyang make dumplings too?" Luna asked.
"He couldn't fold them. I tried teaching him. Not a natural dumpling person but a good dishwasher," Hendery laughed. His eyes were locked onto Yangyang who was washing dishes.

"Hendery, tell them!" Yangyang suddenly interrupted.
"Not now! Wait until it's calmer," Hendery refused which made the whole kitchen stopped.

"Tell us what?" Kelly who was plating, stopped and turned.
"Later. We finish this lunch rush. I'll tell. Promise."

*********************

They sat in a circle. The lunch hour rush ended and the restaurant was empty. Only a few orders for delivery came in.

"So what is it?" Kelly broke the silence. Yangyang turned to Hendery and Hendery turned to Yangyang.

"You tell," Hendery nodded to Yangyang.
"No. You tell."
"You."
"No, you. It's your thing"
"You tell for me," Hendery refused and passed the news bearer role to Yangyang.

Mrs Wong sipped her tea calmly waiting for the boy to stop bickering.

"Boys! Just someone spit," Kelly slammed the table softly. Hendery and Yangyang both laughed.

"Fine. I'll be the news bearer for him. So. Actually his last cycle was last month," Yangyang broke the news. Everyone froze. Could it be? His last cycle?

"No that can't be it. He's supposed to go through 8 cycles. That's like half of it."

"Yeah. Well like they said. It's a miracle, Mr. Wong. I may say, you beat cancer again," Yangyang quoted the doctor.

"This is not a prank?" Mrs. Wong asked. Her voice shook. Both Yangyang and Hendery nodded.

"Oh my god!!! Why did you take so long to tell us?" Kelly got off her seat and hugged Hendery. Mrs Wong hugged him too.

Hendery hugged them back. "I just wanted to make sure first. But don't be too ecstatic. We have a long way to go," he kissed his mother softly.

Luna and Yangyang just sat there, watching. Do they get up and hug too? Or do they just walk away?

"Come on! Hug me!" Hendery waved his hands.

**********************

Let's assume that it's possible. Will you be the moon to my nights? Shining so bright, always and forever be my source of light?

For a prince shall have what a prince desires. I shall be your moon, your star, your whole empire.

Hendery lied down on the grass. He stared at the sky, counting the stars.

"If you're counting the stars, you'll end up with grey hair!!!" Luna shouted from the laundry room. She was doing laundry when she saw him counting the stars.

"I'll dye them black."
"So, what's with counting?" She sat beside him. Her hands smelt sweet like the laundry detergent.

He was quiet. Hendery played with Luna's fingers. "Hendery...."
"Yes?"

She lied down beside him. Her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"What if one day, I disappoint you?"
"You won't Luna."
"You sure?" She looked up to him. He nodded and kissed her.
"Unless you're secretly an extra terrestrial person," he laughed.

Luna hit his arm slowly. "I'm not E.T but I'm a disappoint-y. Get it?"

"Bad dad joke, Luna. Bad dad joke."

****************

Hendery sat on the dining table and fold dumplings diligently. It was supposed to be their day off but apparently someone made a last minute order of dumplings.

"We're out of spring onions!!!! Someone go get them and while at it, shop for groceries please," Kelly shouted when she couldn't find spring onions.

"Liu Yangyang go to the store!"
"I can but I have no idea what or how to pick," Yangyang yawned. He had been on his laptop for the past 3 hours, trying to make his assignments make sense.

"Take Luna with you. She knows. I've texted the list to her. Now now now!!"

*********************

It was a silent ride.

"Hey Luna, thank you," Yangyang broke the silence.

"What? What's up?" She looked up from her phone. Luna turned to the driving Yangyang. He smiled.

"You'll probably say I'm exaggerating shit but trust me. I am absolutely not. Thank you for everything."

"Might want to exaggerate the points?" She chuckled. Yangyang smiled. He stole a glance at her.

"Thank you for never giving up on Hendery. For giving him the strength none of us could give to him. Don't say no. He gave up the day he quitted college. He wanted to die peacefully he said. But then he met you. You who turned things upside down. Thank you, Luna. Thank you."

**********************

Thank you for never giving up on him. You who stood on broken shards. Thank you.