6

Hala persuaded Luna over dinner. She really wanted Luna to be her maid of honour.

"We'll pick a dress you feel comfortable in. Don't worry and if Yun said some shit I swear I will punch him in the balls. Please Luna," Hala begged. She held Luna's hand and squeezed them.

"Okay. Okay. I will," Luna finally gave in and agreed to be the maid of honour. Hala was ecstatic.

*************************

Hendery rolled off his bed and fell on the floor with a thud.

"What was that?" Kelly opened the door and saw him on the floor. He laughed. "I rolled way too far and fell," he sat on the floor and leaned on his bed. Kelly entered his room and sat beside him on the floor.

He leaned on her shoulder. "Kelly, I wish I never went to the states. So I can spend more time with you guys," he mumbled.

"You're home now."
"Until when?"
"Hendery don't say that," Kelly slapped his cheek softly.

At the age of 22 and 29, they still treat each other like they used to when they were kids.

Hendery turned to her and smiled. "I just wish, you know? Boarding school took away a lot."

**************************

Luna opened the door and walked in.

"Oh, I thought you were lost." Yun mocked her. Luna placed her keys on the desk and walked away.

"I told you to come back and cook dinner didn't I?!" He slapped the back of her head, hard.

"You want me to make dinner?" Luna tried to reason but Yun chose violence.

"It's 10 pm what dinner?!" He pushed her head again and again. Slapping her in between the pushes. "Do you think you're staying here for free or something?! This is not your house! Know your......"

"Yun that's enough," Mrs Hua pulled his hand. "She needs to learn, mom!"

"Enough!!"

**************************

Luna quickly closed the door and locked it. Yun kicked the door hard and shouted. "You fucking bitch!!"

She sat on the floor cupping her ears as she heard Yun and her mother argued.

"Why are you treating her like she's your slave?"
"Isn't she supposed to be one mom?"
"She is your sister.
"She is not my sister! She's not supposed to be here! I hate her!"

"Luna," Yue put a set of headphones on her and cranked up the volume. Yue smiled and nodded her head, assuring that she won't listen to Yun's voice.

Luna listened to the song playing from the headphones. Yue sat beside her and leaned her head on Luna's shoulder.

"Luna, you'll always be my sister even when the world says otherwise," Yue took off Luna's headphones and wiped away the tear stains on her cheeks.

*****************************

Luna woke up earlier than usual that day. She opened the door to her room and saw her mother asleep on the sofa in the living room.

She walked away to the bathroom but stopped when her name was called.

"Luna come here," her mother pat the empty spot beside her. Luna walked slowly and sat on it. The old hand was rough but the touch never changed. The same soft touch she knew years ago. Slowly her mother stroked her hair.

"Please forgive Yun," the old voice cracked. Luna turned and smiled.
"It's okay. I understand. I was wrong anyway," she assured the elderly. Luna hugged her mother.

"Thank you for raising me."

****************************

Hendery finally turned off his lights and pulled his covers. He was fiddling with his hair when a text came in. He reached for his phone.

🌚: You up?
🤴: Yeh.
🌚: I have something to tell you.
🤴: Let me guess, you want to apologise for what happened in high school?
🌚: Hendery, I can explain.
🤴: Goodnight, Hala.

He put his phone away and stared emptily into the darkness. He smiled.

Hala was the moon he yearned for. Or so he thought. His friends warned him that she's a player. A heart breaker they said. He kept telling himself back then, she was just a friend. But who was he lying to?

He had fallen for her deep. She was his comfort zone. She was his home there. The one who made him miss his home a little bit less.

He ignored his vibrating phone. He knew it was her. She recently started contacting him. And how he wished he didn't respond to it. Because that day, the scar in him bled a little bit more.

Hendery got off his bed and wandered into the kitchen, opening the medicine cabinet. He pulled a bottle and popped the pills before drinking water.

"What are you doing?" Kelly turned on the lights.

"Can't sleep."
"Want ice cream?" She opened the freezer.
"Sure," he sat at the island stool.

Kelly placed a tub of strawberry ice cream on the island top.

"Dig in."

"Kelly, who ate ice cream with you when I wasn't here?" He asked her casually. Kelly smiled.
"I didn't. It's our tradition to eat ice cream together. So I waited for you," she stopped eating and stared at him.

"So, promise me that you will always be here to eat ice cream with me. Okay?" She pointed her spoon at him. He chuckled and nodded.

"Promise."

Ironic isn't it? We both know we're lying. But that's the glimmer of hope we need.

************************

Breakfast was ready. A heaping bowl of rice for everyone, a huge pot of spicy soup, some side dishes, egg rolls and also some scallion pancakes.

Yun sat at the table and watched as Luna placed each item on the table.

"Don't even think about it," he snapped when she pulled her chair. Luna stopped and stood still.

"Sorry," she mumbled and left the dining area. She sat in her room, listening to them eating breakfast.

"Yun...."
"No, mom. You promised."

I wish I can turn back the time and fix your wounds so you won't hate me for my being.