47

He watched her climbed up the stairs. Always wait until they're home then leave. His father taught him well. He saw her running back down the stairs and disappeared through the blocks.

He sat down on the empty swing beside her. "What happened?" Luna was shocked that she almost ran away.

"Why are you here? I thought you went home?"
"I saw you ran back down the stairs," he slowly swung on the swing. It creaked with each movement.

"Want to come over? Mom probably made some dinner by now. Kelly would love to hear some tea," he got off the swing and held his hand out to her. Luna grabbed his hand and followed him to the car.

********************

"Nice date. Text me when you get home, okay?" Luna closed the door and walked away. She climbed up the stairs; humming to some random tunes.

She was about to reach for the door knob when she heard glasses shattering and Yun shouting.

"Fuck it mom!! I don't want to hear anything about her! I don't care who she is. She wasn't supposed to be here!"

"Yun, don't do this. She is family."
"Fuck family!"

Luna turned around and ran back down. She made her way to the old playground behind the block and sat on one of the swings.

"I wish it was me too," she mumbled to herself.

"What happened?"
"Son of a flying b.... Hendery!!!" Luna almost jumped off the swing and ran away but she didn't when it was just Hendery.

Hendery radiated a sunshine vibe. Not the obnoxious kind but more like a warm vibe that makes anyone feel at home.

The car ride wasn't long. "You like to stare out the window huh?"

"Main character moment," Luna chuckled. He smiled. Luna made a mental note of how he looked when he smiled.

*******************

Hendery peeked through the window and waved when Luna saw him. "Let's go get ice cream," he mouthed each words to her. Luna nodded but gave him a wait a moment sign.

Luna ran out of the store and pulled his hand. They both ran up the street and made their way to the convenient store. "Hurry up before Yun realises," Luna giggled.

"What ice cream?" Hendery slid open the fridge. "You pick," she peeked from behind and rested her chin on his shoulder. "Pistachio?"
"Pistachio sounds good," she nodded.

Hendery handed her the ice cream. They sat down at a nearby playground. "What's pistachio anyway?" Luna asked him. Her hands were ripping open the wrapping. "Tree nut. Wait, you've never tried one?"

"Nope. I don't even eat ice cream much," Luna bit into her ice cream. Hendery turned to her and waited for her to finish tasting the ice cream. "Don't stare," Luna put her whole palm on his face.

"Euwww!!" She pulled her hand away when Hendery licked it. "Face palm me again. I dare you," he laughed out loud.

Hendery Wong, eternal younger sibling.

*********************

Just like any other normal day, the whole house was silent after 6 pm. Luna prepared dinner in total silence.

"Luna... ." Yue walked into the kitchen and sat on the counter. "Let me guess you want to eat something not spicy," Luna didn't even look at Yue. Yue nodded quickly.

They were chatting and giggling when Yun walked in. "Where were you?"

"Where what?" Luna turned around. She looked up to him. He sniggered and scoffed.

"Oh, little hippo's got a boyfriend now. Sike, you know he'll leave you sooner or later," Yun mocked her. He pushed away the hair on her face and kept making faces.

"Why can't you leave me alone, Yun?"
"Why would I?"
"I'm not family. You said that I'm not family. Why do you even bother at this point?"
"Because your misery is my joy, Luna. It should've been you but here you are. So might as well make it a living hell," Yun inched closer to her and tried to kiss her.

"Any closer and you'll lose your dick," Luna pulled a knife nearby and shoved it to his face. He laughed and walked away, mocking Luna.

*******************

Yue pulled Luna to her bed. "Sit," she forced Luna to sit down. "Yue I have chores."

"Chores can wait. This cannot," she held up Luna's wrist. The bracelet dangled as she shook them.

"When did you get this and why haven't you told me anything yet?"
"Aaaaa last summer."
"LUNA IT IS ALMOST SPRING NOW!! How could you not tell me anything."

"I thought you knew because you were the one who told him I'd lose rings if I ever get one," Luna giggled. Yue's jaw dropped. "How?"

"He told me. Sneaky."

Yue laughed. "Is he nice?"
"He's nice. Very nice."
"Then get married quickly so you can leave this hell hole."
"Do you think it's that easy Yue?" Luna pushed Yue's forehead hard. "Why don't I see you go on dates with him?"

"Because apparently I have a thousand dresses to sew beads on. Then chores, cooking. What date?" Luna lied down on Yue's abundance of plushies.

"So is he the perfect lilac for you?"

********************

"I'm coming. I'm coming," he washed his hands quickly and took off his apron.

"This better be good," he exited the kitchen and smiled almost immediately when he saw a familiar figure standing at the cash register.

"Show me the puppy," Xiaojun held up his car keys. Hendery turned to Kelly who shooed him. "Go. Now."

The car ride was quiet for a few minutes. "DJ, can I ask for a favour?"

"Nothing is free in this world."
"You're filthy rich," Hendery laughed.
"Still nothing is free. What favour?"
"Cover me up whenever needed. Can you help me with that?"

Xiaojun stared at Hendery's side profile. He was quiet. "Can you?" Hendery asked again.

"Cover up what?"
"Remember in high school, you'd tell people I have family problems whenever I am sick?"
"Fuck it, Hendery. Don't do this."
"I wish I can not do it. But let's just live knowing I'll die sooner than anyone else," he stole glances at Xiaojun who obviously wasn't amused.

*******************

"Mr Xiao, where is Mr Wong?"
"He has family issues, ma'am."

That blue curtain blew in the wind and the lies were always there, being certain despite knowing it'll one day burst.