66

What makes you so sure that you're not hurting me this way? Why can't we talk about this?

His eyes were telling her something else even when he smiled. She knew he couldn't hid them anymore but he's trying so hard that she couldn't bring herself to talk about it. She chose the oblivious card once again and pretended to enjoy the whole date even when some parts of her was so sure of what's going to happen.

"Why are we here?" Luna turned to her left only to see Hendery already walking towards the canvas.

"I thought some art would be fun," he sat on the stool and pointed to the other stool and canvas. Luna dropped her stuff and made her way to the other stool.

"Draw me like one of your french boys Luna."
"Is Italian okay?"
"Oui!!"

"That is French!!" Luna threw a small brush at him. He dodged and laughed. True it was French because he took French lessons in school.

Hendery had no idea what he was doing. He tried his best to paint Luna. He was no painter. Far from it, but he tried. Occasionally, he peeked Luna's canvas.

"Please make me shirtless with defined abs," he demanded. Luna just laughed it off. No way she's doing that.

************************

Kelly sighed as he struggled to even pick up a single sweater from the hanger.

"Shut up," he snapped.
"Let me help you," she pulled the hanger from the rack and handed him the purple coloured sweater.

Kelly softly ran her fingers through his hair. "Stop bleaching them, okay?"

"I'll be bald soon anyway. What more harm can bleach do?" his voice was monotonous. So emotionless.

"I hate you, Hendery. I really do," Kelly walked away leaving him to mend himself.

"Kelly, wait! I didn't mean to.." he trailed after her.

"Why are you so much like dad? You guys butt head all the time yet you are the spitting image of that old man. Why are you like this?"

He shrugged and smiled, "What can I say? He's my dad after all. Come on Kelly, don't cry again."

If only we can trade places. I would.

He wasn't the healthiest kid growing up. Spent most of his childhood in the hospital, he actually hated hospitals the most.

At the age of 13, was taught to mend for oneself in a foreign land, Hendery actually experienced best of both worlds.

But one thing that never changed was him being sick. A sickly child who grew up to be a sickly man. Hendery, wished things were different.

*********************

Luna finally peeked Hendery's canvas. He painted a bunch of marigold on it. Slowly she creeped up to him and hugged his neck softly.

"Why marigolds?" She asked softly. He turned and snuggled in her arms. "Because it reminds me of you. Like that bracelet," he fiddled with the bracelet on her wrist. Luna kissed his crown softly.

"I love them. Wanna see what I did for you?" She tilted her head so their eyes would lock. He nodded. 

Luna's canvas were covered in soft pink. Hendery bursted into laughter when he saw Luna had painted him in a white suit, riding a cow. Not a horse but a cow.

"Why cow?!!"
"I figured you won't ride a horse," she shrugged. Luna slowly picked up a pink stained paintbrush and painted his right cheek pink.

"Luna!!!!!" Hendery half shouted when she ran away from him. He picked another paintbrush and ran after her. Hendery caught up to her and quickly hugged her from behind before painting her cheeks with the brush.

This is it. The day I want to remember for the rest of my short life. 

************************

Sometimes a story can hurt you in just a few sentences. While some hurt you from the start until the end.

They both sat down on the floor, laughing.

"Okayy, okay. I lose," Luna surrendered when Hendery started poking her waist. Luna pat her lap softly. "Lie down here."

She ran her fingers through his hair, making tiny braids out of what he had. "Hendery, you rented this whole place so we can paint like this?"

"Initial plan was just the canvas. But, kinda."
"But why?"
"To make up for the lost time," he laid on his back, eyes locked onto hers.

Her eyes were like two hazelnuts, floating in space.  Her smile was pretty, so bright like the morning sun. Shining above and beyond the whole perimeter, the light that makes people smile.

But her eyes also carried so much sadness he couldn't fathom. Her worries weren't often seen but they're there.

Slowly he reached for her cheeks and cupped it. "Don't be sad, Luna. I am here," he softly pinched her cheeks.

I wish I can be by your side for eternity...... . But I guess I'm a liar.

********************

His eyes were hazel. Bright and clear. But they were two pools of lie. I can see the regrets, the pain, the agony behind it. His smile was sincere. Always so sincere. But behind those smiles, he's not who he appears to be.

Two pools of lies
Telling you that he's fine

***********************

It's not a date if they don't go for a convenience store food kinda date.

It amazes Luna how enthusiastic he was with food. How he would get so bright at the presence of food.

"Sausages or tuna?" He turned to Luna.
"What do you want?" She asked him back. He shrugged and handed her both. Luna picked the sausages for them.

Hendery reminds her so much of a child. He's childish. Very witty and quirky. Yet he's also a deep philosophical person who memorises idioms and quotes random movies or books. He is more than just his prince looking self. He is the embodiment of a character written by a woman.

Luna never once dreamt she'd meet a person so much like him. She engraved him deep in her memories. His smile, his voice, his two deep eyes.

I wish this moment lasted forever. But I know I can only wish for it.