84

"Luna you're welcomed to stay here as long as you need to. Forever if you may," Hendery reached for her cheek.

"Lord help me. They're so disrespectful to single people. Lord!!!!" Kelly got up and walked away from them. Both Hendery and Luna laughed.

Hendery wiped away the remaining tear stains on her cheeks. "You don't have to explain to me anything if it pains you."

"Even when it matters?"
"What is it about? You a total bitch for getting angry over Yun selling your car? Or is it about how you chose to be in pain even when you can't anymore?"

********************

Hendery walked in and saw Yangyang struggling.

"Why do you always wait until you can't anymore? You don't have to be weary," Hendery reached for Yangyang's inhaler and handed it to him.

"Old... habits die.... hard," Yangyang answered slowly. Hendery sat on the mattress.

"Kill it. It's bad. You're wheezing."
"I'm fine..."

"Yeah right. I'm sensing a sick ass coming tomorrow," Hendery laughed. He climbed on his bed and turned off the night lamp.

"Wake me up if you need anything. Okay, Yangyang?"
"Okay... ."

"You know, Hendery. I sometimes question why didn't I die in high school? Because it was some bad shit back then," Yangyang broke the silence after a while.

"You have us, dimwit. The one who runs for your life."
"Yeah. I owe you guys a lot."
"Repay us with being successful and happy. That's more than enough."
"Why are you sounding like an old man?"
"Because apparently I am a whole ass year older than you. That's why."
"Hendery what's a year difference?"
"I've died more times than you did. That's the difference."

It was silent. None of them said anything.

*********************

Luna sat on the bed, watching her phone blew up. Text were coming in non stop. It kept flickering each time a text came in. The same name repeated itself.

Yun : cunt where are you
Yun: fuck you
Yun: fatty answer the fucking phone
Yun: I'll kill you

She flipped the phone over. Luna buried her face in her knees, trying to drown everything. But she couldn't. Slowly she got off the bed and rummaged through her handbag.

"I'm sorry...." she mumbled as she grazed her thighs little by little. She watched as the little cuts bled. Even the pain from the cuts couldn't shut the pain in her heart. She was desperate.

A knock at her door halted her. Luna quickly shoved the small paper knife under her pillow.

"Yes?" She opened the door slightly and peeked. It was Yangyang at the door.

"I figured... you weren't asleep," he smiled.

They sipped the hot tea quietly. Yangyang almost burnt his tongue. Luna just watched him struggled.

"Can't sleep?" She asked.
"Yeah."
"Wanna go to the ER?"
"What?"
"That's a yes. I'll get Hendery," she got off the dining chair and ran up the stairs.

********************

If it were the Hua's Yun would probably say something along the lines of, "Are we social services mom? Why do we need to let them stay?"

But the Wong's are a different breed. Their house welcomed everyone. And it's always warm. Luna looked around and felt more at home there rather than the house she grew up in.

She quickly finished cleaning the kitchen and ran to the living room. Both Yangyang and Hendery were playing games on the xBox.

"I thought he's sick," Luna sat on the arm rest by Hendery.

"He is."
"So, he's supposed to be in bed. Resting."

"One game won't do any harm, Luna."
"And that's how Liu Yangyang and Hendery Wong got their games confiscated," Luna pulled the plug off the wall.

Yangyang turned to Hendery. "Your girl is scary."
"Tell me about. Run!!!" Hendery pushed Yangyang when Luna threatened to pinch him.

Sometimes its like taking care of kids. But she wouldn't trade it for the world.

********************

She loves how Yangyang and Hendery would bicker all the time yet are always there for each other. It was always Yangyang who accompanied Hendery to his regular appointments. It was also always Yangyang who poked Hendery to the max.

"I can drive."
"Let me drive."
"You drive like death!"
"Do you know death?"
"Let me drive."
"Liu Yangyang!"
"Hendery Wong!"

Luna shook her head when both Hendery and Yangyang bickered over who should drive that day.

Luna turned to Kelly who shrugged. "They're always like this."

Another normal day in the Wong household. Luna often wondered if her family was still around, would it feel the same.

***********************

"Grow up to be a good person, okay? Don't hold grudges. Be the bigger person. I know you don't understand. But one day you will."

"Today, I understand what you meant mom. But why does it hurt so much to be the bigger person? Why does it hurt so much to be a nice person? I tell myself that they're family and they won't hurt me. But they did. Multiple times. Each time creating deeper wounds. Why does it hurt so much when I keep the pain inside?"

Luna placed the worn out family photo by her side. She looked up to the ceiling and just stared at it.

"You know, if I ever go to hell. I'd probably feel at home there because here is already hell for me."

Probably hell is home to me. Because I've been living in one for 16 years.

************************

Some days are better than others. But some are just nonexistent. Hendery looked out his window and saw Luna sitting on the ground in the yard.

"Luna!!" He called her name. She turned around and smiled. "Cat!!!!" Luna shouted back at him and pointed to the black and white cat running towards her.

Hendery grabbed his hoodie and ran downstairs. He sat beside her on the ground. "I'm guessing you're bored?"

"Yes. I was thinking of getting a job. I can't stay here forever," she played with the cat.
"But you can. Stay here forever," he leaned on her shoulder. Hendery twirled her hair softly.

"Luna, you don't have to go anywhere. You can work at the restaurant. We're constantly short staffed."
"Do I look like I can make dumplings?"
"I can teach you how to. Come on!" He held his hand out.

The most important thing is what's inside. It's inside that matters.