39

Luna dreaded going back home just because she knew Yun would be there to make a scene. Yue pushed the door open and walked in.

"Ah, finally found your way home. I thought you guys died already," he was sitting on the sofa, chugging on his beer.
"Sounds about nice. But we failed," Luna replied without missing a beat. She walked away and felt something hitting her head.

"Ah that boyfriend of yours taught you that? To be insolent?" Got off the seat and made his way to her. He snapped her hair hard. "Listen to me you cunt, say that again."

"I said, it sounds nice to be dead. But it failed," Luna repeated.
"I'll make you see God!!!" He wanted to slam her head on the wall but stopped when his mother hit him with a broom.

"Let. Her. Go. Now!" She hit him with every word. Yun turned around and pulled the broom. He threw it across the room. He released his grip and slammed the door to his room. Yue was ok the floor cowering in fear.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay," Luna hugged the younger one who was sobbing.

****************************

The week passed quickly. Yue spent her summer once again at her father's home, leaving Luna to mend herself alone.

She blocked her door every night and left the house earlier than usual. She would avoid Yun as much as she could.

"Fatso! Hoi!" Yun called for her from across the store. Luna didn't respond, she was talking to a client.

Yun slammed the table. "Fatso."
"What is it?"
"I've been calling for you."
"Sorry I didn't hear anyone calling Luna," she shrugged and paid her attention back to the woman in front of her.

"I'm talking to you."
"Yeah and I'm talking to a customer," Luna glared at him.

"My mom will be with you to measure you size," Luna ushered the woman to a chair.

Yun was still standing by the table. When she sat down, he proceeded to push her head.

"Being all so mighty, huh?"
"What the heck, Yun?"

"Ever since you're friends with that boy, you're getting way too brave," he pushed away everything on the table. Luna sighed. She picked everything up and placed it back in order, not even responding to Yun.

"Are you deaf? Are you?" He kept pushing her head again and again. "Yun, stop it."

"What are you gonna do?" He provoked. Oh how he wished he didn't.

Luna turned to him and slapped his hand away. "Listen to me. You're not the only one who wished it was me. We all do. But guess what? We can't do anything about it. Suck it up and stop being a baby. Grow up, Yun!"

**********************

Luna fiddled with her pen. She was filling the inventory lists and whatnots when Hendery walked in and pulled a chair.

"Tomorrow's Saturday. Your day off, right?" He played with a piece of lace on the table.

"Don't play with that, please. And yes. My one and only day off. What's up?" she pulled the lace away. Hendery chuckled.

"Let's go ice skating."
"Yue's at her dad's."
"Just us then?"
"I can't skate," she looked up to him and shook her head.
"Well, I'll teach you. It'll be fun. Come on!! Kelly can't skate with me. Until further notice she said," Hendery sighed. He was almost whining which made Luna laughed and slapped his arm.

"I'll watch you play."
"Cool!! So tomorrow! Don't forget to dress prettily."
"Eh? Why?"

"It's a dressing day? Don't you know? Or is that like a day only we celebrated back in the states?" Hendery turned to her. She shook her head. "Never heard of it. Probably states culture not here."

Hendery fiddled with a pen he found on the table. It was quiet for a moment. "But then again, the last time I dress nicely was when I was 10? Probably 11. I don't have anything nice," she turned to him and took away the pen. He cracked a smile.

"Let's get one? Come on it's already 530 pm. You can get out of work a bit early. Let's go," Hendery pulled her hand.

"Okay. Okay. Let me tell mother," Luna agreed. She wanted to be as far as possible from home anyway.

***********************

She opened the door and stood by the sewing machine.

"Mother, I'm having dinner with a friend."
"That Hendery boy?"
"Yes. Can I go?"
"Have fun," Mrs Hua smiled. Luna turned to leave and Yun was there at the door.

He smiled and shook his head, "Dream on, fatso." He grabbed her wrist, stopping her from walking away.

"Yun, let her go. Now," Mrs Hua gave him the look. He released his grip. But before she could even walk away, he slapped her butt. Luna ran out, gathered her stuff and pulled Hendery's hand.

"Let's go."

********************

She stood by the dumpling house entrance, waiting for Hendery to get his stuff.

"Hey, he's taking a while. Emergency number 2. Come in," Kelly tapped Luna's shoulder. Luna followed her to the back and waited in the kitchen. The smell of dumplings were so yummy. She watched how quick Mrs Wong's hands worked.

Hendery walked into the kitchen, holding his car keys and bag. "Mom, I'm eating dinner with Luna, okay? See you."

"I want jelly donut!" Kelly shouted as they walked away.

The car ride was quiet. "Yow what's the sitch?" Hendery broke the silence. Luna shook her head slowly. "Nothing. Just thinking."

"Spit it out!" He encouraged her to speak up. Luna sighed. "Do you think that maybe just maybe I should leave?"

"Leave where?" His eyes were locked on the road.
"Everything. Everyone."

"Go where? Somewhere new?" He stole little glances at her. Her eyes were dark, it was filled with concerns.

She chuckled and shook her head, knowing well he couldn't see that. "No. More like you know...."

*********************

~ years ago ~

Wei sat at the edge of the roof, her legs dangling in the air. Hendery sat beside her. Both of them held on the rails.

"Should I leave?" She turned to him. Hendery who was busy trying to open his lollipop turned. "You're moving school?"

She chuckled and took away his lollipop. "No. More like, you know. Dead?" She casually handed him the opened lollipop. He froze.

"Wei, what the fuck?" He blurted. She bursted into laughter. "Nah, I was kidding. Yeah, move school. Should I?"

"Do what you think is right, Wei."

If only they knew how much Hendery regretted his words. He should've stopped her. He should've said no. But he didn't. He thought she was fine.

******************

Reach out. It matters