𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 𝗧𝗔𝗦𝗞

THE FIRST TASK
"𝗉𝖾𝖺𝖼𝗁𝗒."

—THE MORNING OF THE FIRST TASK WAS FINALLY HERE

THE MORNING OF THE FIRST TASK WAS FINALLY HERE. The atmosphere in the school was one of great tension and excitement. Lessons were to stop at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure— though of course, they didn't yet know what they would find there.

Alexandria felt oddly separate from everyone around her, whether they were wishing her good luck or hissing "We'll have a box of tissues ready, Potter" as she passed. For the first time ever, however, she ignored them and kept on walking.

Time was behaving in a more peculiar fashion than ever, rushing past in great dollops, so that one moment she seemed to be sitting down in her first lesson, History of Magic, and the next, walking into lunch ... and then Professor Snape was walking over to her in the Great Hall.

Lots of people were watching.

"Slytherin, the champions have to come down into the grounds now... you have to get ready for your first task."

"Ok," mumbled Alexandria, standing up, her fork falling onto her plate with a clatter.

"Good luck, Dria," Daphne whispered.

"You'll be fine!" Pansy tried assuring her.

"Yeah," said Alexandria in a voice that was most unlike her own.

She left the Great Hall with Professor Snape. He didn't seem himself, either; in fact, he almost looked.. anxious?

As he walked her down the stone steps and out into the cold November afternoon, he put his hand on her shoulder. "Your father told me to tell you that whether or not he's here, he believes in you and knows you'll be fine."

"Wonderful."

A few minutes later, he was leading her towards the place where the dragons were, around the edge of the Forest, but when they approached the clump of trees behind which the enclosure would be clearly visible, Alexandria saw that a tent had been erected, its entrance facing them, screening the dragons from view.

"You're to go in here with the other champions," said Professor Snape. "and wait for your turn, Slytherin. Mr Bagman is in there. he'll be telling you the procedure."

"Thanks," said Alexandria, in a flat, distant voice. He left her at the entrance of the tent.

She went inside.

Fleur Delacour was sitting in a corner on a low wooden stool. She didn't look nearly as composed as usual, but rather pale and clammy.

Viktor Krum looked even surlier than usual, which Alexandria supposed was his way of showing nerves.

Cedric was pacing up and down.

When Alexandria entered, Cedric immediately walked up to her. "You'll be alright, I promise."