(Side Story 16) What If... Gene

Y/n P.O.V (Y/n's Bedroom) (Morning)

"Y/n, honey. You better be getting ready for school" Mom says from downstairs disturbing my peaceful sleep.

"I'm up. Don't worry" I sleepily reply, though I can tell she's unconvinced and as such, I mentally prepare myself for one of my brothers to be sent up to get me. And what do you know, just like clockwork.

"Y/n....... mom says you gotta get up" I hear Garroth sing as he enters my room.

Rewind

Crash!

"Y/n honey, you better be getting ready for school" Zianna says as I pull myself to my feet after just falling to the floor. I slowly close the window I climbed through and head over to my mirror to make sure my makeup is still descent.

Foundation, still coving any imperfection. Lips, still a very dark shade of red, pretty much black. Eyes, still surrounded by shadow with nice long wings. And thankfully the dye Gene recommend has worked great making the tips of my hair, ears and tail all a deep crimson red. With some speckles of red mixed into the rest of my hair.

"Fun night out?" Garroth asks as he stands in my doorway with his arms crossed and a sour expression on his face.

"Had its ups and downs. How was movie night?" I ask as I pack my bag.

"Great, Zane and Vylad wanted you there" Garroth says, clearly annoyed judging by the tone of his voice. Though it's the usual tone of voice he gives me these days so maybe I've just grown numb to it. Either way, I don't care.

"I couldn't help it, I felt unwell and had to go to sleep early" I say, making no attempt to hide my obvious sarcasm.

"They look up to you, you know" Garroth says. "Please don't let them down"

"What like I did with you?" I ask, smile still on my lips. "Cause you know, I didn't ask for your help. Despite what you say, you couldn't be happy for me and you couldn't trust the decisions I made" Garroth just stands there, arms crossed with a sour expression on his face. "What, nothing else to say?"

"Nothing that you haven't already ignored" He says as he leaves. I hear him take a deep sigh from the other side of the door before walking off.

I take one last look in the mirror and pull my black mask up to my nose. After I'm sure that I look as perfect as usual, I walk downstairs to find that everyone is already in the car. Everyone except Garte who he and I share a glance for a brief few seconds. But since it's too early to start fighting, we both ignore the other.

I climb into the front seat, which is empty since my brothers know that that's my seat.

"Morning sweetie" Zianna greats in a cheerful voice.

"Hey, Mom" I greet back, then turn behind me to see Garroth on the opposite side to me, looking glum out the window, while Zane and Vylad sit with smiles on their faces in the other two back seats. "You two excited for your first day?"

"Yep" Zane says with a smile plastered between his freckles.

"Yes!" Vylad shouts with his usual grin.

"Well you two are just as chipper as always" I say, slightly disgusted by their blind optimism but who am I to bully them for that.

Not long after, we reach the school. After saying my goodbyes I head up the steps and towards the fountain. On my way up I notice a small little freshman taking a selfie, how cute. Better let them know who's queen around here. I walk up and shove past her, knocking her phone to the floor.