(Chapter 21) Birds Of A Feather

Lucinda P.O.V

"Hey there little owl, come to mama" I say as I lock sights with the owl that's nested itself on one of the trees in my back garden. I throw some bird food on the ground and sure enough, the owl comes flying down. "Just a little bit closer" I say as I continue to lay down bird food in an attempt to lead it into a cage I have set up. I hate that I can't use magic for this.

Click

I lock the cage door, with the owl successfully trapped inside. "YES!" I shout.

"Lucinda? What are you doing?" Mom says.

"I'm getting my familiar, just like you asked" I say. She walks over and looks at the owl I've caught.

"Well he's a good colour, looks health" She says. Then suddenly she open the cage door and the owl goes flying off to its nest.

"MOM!"

"Lucinda, a familiar has to be a creature that you have an emotional connection with. You can't just trap any old thing and force it to share a part of your soul" She says while looking at me. I look away as I know she's right. "Besides, it's 3am on a Wednesday morning. Go to sleep"

"You said I need a familiar by Friday, but I don't know where to find one. It seems like every creature I try to make a connection with just rejects me"

"Lucinda this isn't something that can be rushed. You just have to wait for the right animal to find you, not the other way around. Besides, maybe you've already found one"

"I'm fairly sure I haven't" I say as I walk inside. "Every animal on this planet hates me"

"It doesn't seem like cats hate you" I hear her sarcastically call out.

Ignoring her words I head straight upstairs and to my room. I flop on my bed and pull out my phone. And without even realising it I start to message Y/n.

Lucinda: Hey you up?

Y/n (gf): I am now. What's up?

Lucinda: Just a bit frustrated, and I wanted to talk to you

Y/n (gf): You wanna talk about it?

Y/n (gf): Well I mean you just said you wanted to talk but you know what I mean

Lucinda: Don't know if there is much to talk about. I can't seem to get my hands on a familiar

Y/n (gf): Well can't you just use magic to summon one or something?

Lucinda: Sadly no. I have to make a real connection with something. It can't be forced in anyway. I just don't know what to do

Y/n (gf): Well as much as I'd like to talk to you. My advice would be to get some sleep so you can tackle the problem with a clear head

Lucinda: Woah that's actually good advice

Y/n (gf): Thanks. Besides I've got an idea that just might work

Lucinda: Which is?

Y/n (gf): A surprise. But just checking it can be any animal

Lucinda: Any animal or magic creature that I have an emotional connection with

Y/n (gf): Okay. Get some sleep and I'll take care of everything

Lucinda: But babe, you sure about helping?

Y/n (gf): Yes

Y/n (gf): NOW GO TO SLEEP

Lucinda: Okay, night babe