Nagato x Fem Reader- The memories

Requested by LibraOtaku

An AU where Yahiko did not die, so the Akatsuki is still a peaceful organisation, but there are still the members from the anime.

——————————————————————————-

The sound of screaming tore through the silence, a loud, persistent ringing in your ears as you lay, attempting to block out the noise, the horror, the memories- the nightmares that refused to dissapear. You were tired, so very tired. You just wanted to sleep. You just wanted to forget everything for a few hours of peace and let your body succumb to the fatigue that wracked every cell in your body.

You simply needed to sleep.

But it would not come. Your mind and body refused to succumb to the exhaustion, the fatigue that tormented you as the sound of the everpresent rain that pounded relentlessly against your roof like a lullaby from the dead souls departed in this stupid war that has been going on for ever and why is it still happening? Why won't it just end?

Why won't it let you sleep?

Every time your eyes close you are haunted by images of blood staining your hands as you cling to the body of your friend that will never move again; of the pain, the sorrow, the anger, the hatred, the despair that grows and grows every single day comes rushing in the moment you close your eyes and despite the want to sleep, you can't.

It won't let you.

And you are tired of it all.

You curl up into yourself, hugging your knees to your chest for warmth as you attempt to bury yourself beneath the thin blankets you have to block out the noise. A sigh escapes your lips when the sound of the door opening and closing causes you to tense, reaching out for the nearest weapon in preperation to fight for your life because you are stuck in the middle of a goddamned war and you never know which weapon will cause your end, only to hear the gentle voice tinted with worry that made your body relax in relief, returning the kunai to it's place in your pouch:

"[Name]? Are you alright?"

You shift so you can turn to face him, a tired smile spreading across your face as your [eye colour] eyes met his one visible eye, replying:

"I'm fine. Just... tired."

Understanding warmed his eye as his expression saddened slightly as he voiced what you both knew it was, for it was common among shinobi and war victims it is almost natural:

"Nightmares?"

You nodded in confirmation, trembling slightly as you clutched your knees tighter to your chest as distorted flashes of the nightmares returned, like an endless cycle of torture that will never leave you alone because memories do not dissapear.

Blood. Death. Tears. Empty eyes. Hand turning cold. Slipping from your grasp. Screams. So much blood-

A pair of arms wrapped around you, pulling you gently into to a warm, steady body that settled beside you, holding you in a comforting embrace as one hand gently rubbed calming circles on your back. And you relaxed against him, glad for the warmth of his presence as you closed your eyes and curled up into him as the both of you lay there, a temporary haven from the problems of the world and the scars inflicted upon you both.

And you drifted into a long awaited slumber, relaxing into a dreamless sleep that you welcomed with open arms. His arms tightened around you gently as his heart beat in a soft lullaby that calmed you, reminding you that he was there. And that you were safe.

For in his arms, the nightmares couldn't hurt you anymore.

———————————————————————————————————————

I'M SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG! I've been busy this week and haven't been able to write and, yeah. I'm not sure about the turnout, but I decided it was best to just write so it doesn't continue that nothing gets done.

If you would like to request something, please do!