Kakuzu x Fem Reader- Birthday

Kakuzu x Fem Reader

————————————————————

You yawned, stretching lazily as you stared at the calendar, your eyes tracing over the reminder set. It was your birthday. How quaint.

You were never one for big celebrations, much prefering a quiet affair of relaxing with your boyfriend. But, of course, when your boyfriend was Kakuzu, small affairs were a small gift that he would find and wrap with newspaper and a cake that he had gotten from Konan- which suited you perfectly fine. Konan's cakes were heavenly and anything from Kakuzu was a gift that you would love. For being with him made you happier than the gaudy, over priced possessions that you had seen other people flaunt and boast about.

You walked down stairs, smiling at your lover as you saw him at the table, sipping coffee with an account book in front of him. He acknowledged you with a slight nod, his eyes watching you for a brief period as you made your coffee, before returning his attention to his calculations, not mentioning your birthday in anyway or form, confusing you slightly. He always said happy birthday, if nothing else. Always.

But this time, he hadn't. For the first time ever, he hadn't said it. Had he forgotten?

A slight tightening occured in your heart, causing you to wince slightly at the pain it caused. It hurt. It hurt that he had forgot. I mean, sure, you didn't particularly care about gifts or cake, but it still hurt if he forgot. You liked the fact that he acknowledged that it was an important day in your life, showing his care through those two words (he rarely said happy birthday to anyone else). That was enough to make you happy.

But, if he forgot, then it feels like he is denying that feeling- denying you. Denying your love.But Kakuzu doesn't forget, he never forgets. So it doesn't make sense. Does he just not care anymore?

Does he not love you anymore?

Or did it never matter to him?

You didn't understand. You just didn't know. A soundless sigh escaped you as you sat with your coffee, musing over the possibilities as you stared into the murky liquid, your eyes downcast. It hurt. It really did. To some, it may be insignificant, but to you, it was important.

Very important.

And it hurt. But the pain didn't give any leeway to the confusion, as it all bubbled and boiled in your mind, swirling over the unanswered question.

Why?

————————————————————————

You sighed, leaning your head against Kakuzu's shoulder as you both sat next to eachother on the couch, he counting money and you trying to ease the headache that had come from your musing over the possibilities before eventually giving up. If Kakuzu had forgot, then so be it. Youabsent mindedly drifted in and out of the programme playing on television, attempting to distract yourself before you gave yourself another headache. Suddenly, a slight movement jolted you out of your thoughts, only to jump when Kakuzu's voice cut through the quiet, a small, intricately made paper box placed in front of you, earning a slight raised eyebrow as you reached out and picked it up, sending a questioning glance towards Kakuzu, only to find that he was quite pointedly not looking at you.

Huh, strange. Maybe it's an imposter. You continued to question what the hell Kakuzu was thinking as you opened the box (that he most likely got from Konan), only for your breath to catch in your throat and your eyes to widen as you stared at it, your heart pounding iny our ears.

For in the box, was a ring. A simple ring it may be, but it was still a freaking ring and holy crap- it cost money. Actual money. Did Kakuzu spend money on a ring for you? What does this mean? But, rings ussually mean-

WHAT?

But...

You turned to stare wide eyed at Kakuzu, not allowing yourself to believe it yet, in case it was all a joke. He merely spoke, his voice calm, not sounding at all like he was just asking (well telling..) you something that you never thought you would hear from him:

"Marry me."

Several moments passed in silence as your heart beat loudly in your ears, trying to process this, before it all clicked in to place, joy spreading through you like a forest fire as you wrapped your arms around him, tears streaming down your flushed face as you pressed your lips to his for a passionate kiss, your body trembling with barely contained excitement that felt like it was going to overflow as he smiled, cupping your cheek with one hand as he said the words you had been waiting for:

"Happy birthday."

——————————————————————————————

A chapter I wrote in the spirit of my birthday~. I hope you like it!

If you would like to request something, please do!