Midorima Shintarou x Takao Kazunari

Requested by TaichouCoconut.

I had a plot for this, I swear I did. What happened to it, however, I do not know and the result is a bunch of word-vomit that could probably be called a drabble if you ignore the complete idiocy of it.

Also, I apologise for the severe lack of updates, my free time is rather lacking lately.

---------------------------------------------------------------

When Takao first met Midorima, he hated him as he did all the generation of miracles. To him, the other was nothing more than arrogance; cruel, cold and hard in its display. Not even looking at them as actual opponents, merely a pathetic hindrance of time.

It was mortifying.

This hatred lasted through to when he joined Shutoku high school, when they met again. He recognised him, the green haired form and spoke to him. Surprisingly, Midorima Shintarou was amusing, with his habit of taping his fingers, the way he ends his sentences and the obsession with astrology all held with a stubborn, serious personality.

Hilarious.

And yet his shoots were too high, too far to reach, to even attempt to touch and it was frustrating, comical and awe-inspiring all in one because it was a constant emphasis on how different their level was. And no matter how hard he competed, he knew he would never be able to defeat him.

So he stopped trying to defeat him. Instead he would get him to acknowledge him and in doing so maybe, just maybe, he would be able to scratch his way up to that guys equal. Of course, the guy noticed and the resulting confrontation was a good laugh, what with stubborn detachment and borderline tsundere attitude. 

Plus, his dislike of being called Shin-chan made it all the more enjoyable to use the nickname. But they remained at a careful distance, neither too close to each other emotionally, as though unsure what is breaching taboo.

But then Seirin came along and tore down the foundations that had formed. They destroyed their team with tricks and manoeuvres and sheer feet's of insanity that could not be possible without the brute trust and teamwork they thrived on like parasites. And even Shin-chan was humbled. He began to change, more open to team play, showing more trust and willingness to work with others and more importantly, he began to treat him as an equal.

It felt like his heart had been ripped apart because he loved him. He loved him, despite his desperate attempts not to. Now what was once amusing was endearing, attractive and made his chest sting with warmth.

He had fallen and he had fallen hard. It was an unexpected development but it was not unwelcome. it made everything more enjoyable.

But then they lost again in the Winter cup and it was despairing. They were so weak and powerless, but it changed something in them. Leaving that stadium after their obliteration, they were different somehow, in more ways than one.

Their upperclassmen graduated and they advanced in the year, growing from freshmen to second years but they still remained behind for extra practice together. There was still a mild competition between them both but it was not as pronounced. They were closer and growing more so every day.

Which is why, one day, he had kissed the taller on an impulse, dragging down and surprising before one kiss grew into three and they elevated with caresses and passion as they melded together with muttered, hesitant 'I love you's.

And then, well, things transpired from there. Which is why, as Takao lay nestled beside him in the hastily changed sheets, he commented with a laugh that the line between hate and love was truly thin.

And they'd crossed it long ago.