𝗣𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗢𝗗 𝗕𝗘𝗧𝗥𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗟 𝗕𝗔𝗟𝗟

PUREBLOOD BETROTHAL BALL
"𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗂 𝗇𝖾𝖾𝖽 𝗍𝗈 𝗀𝖾𝗍 𝗄𝗂𝗅𝗅𝖾𝖽, 𝗌𝗈 𝗂 𝖽𝗈𝗇'𝗍 𝗁𝖺𝗏𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝗌𝗎𝖿𝖿𝖾𝗋 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝖺𝗐𝗄𝗐𝖺𝗋𝖽𝗇𝖾𝗌𝗌."

—ALEXANDRIA LOOKED INTO THE MIRROR, SMILING AT HER REFLECTION

—ALEXANDRIA LOOKED INTO THE MIRROR, SMILING AT HER REFLECTION. It was November now, and it was the day of the pureblood betrothal ball. She wasn't excited for the day, but she sure did look beautiful.

"Come in," she said when somebody knocked on the door.

The door opened and Sirius walked in, "Are you ready— woah." His eyes widened. "Remus, she's grown up."

Remus rolled his eyes fondly, walking into the room, then smiling at Alexandria. "You look beautiful, Lexie."

"Are any adults coming?" She asked.

"No," Sirius shook his head. "Only the seventeen year olds are going. The only adults there are the waiters."

"That seems like a horrible idea," Harry joined in as he walked into the room— wearing a black suit.

"Let's just get this over with," muttered Alexandria.

The two siblings watched as Sirius apparated away after leaving the two at Zabini Manor— where the ball was being hosted at.

"I need a drink," mumbled Harry as soon as the two walked into the ballroom.

"And I need to get killed, so I don't have to suffer this awkwardness."

He silently gave her a glass of firewhisky.

She nodded as a way of saying 'thanks', then looked around the ballroom— noticing people slow dancing and others trying to get to know each other.

Her eyes stopped on a boy in the corner— who was wearing a plain black suit (as always)— and was talking with a girl, but he didn't seem interested at all.

As if feeling somebody's eyes on him, Draco looked around, breath hitching at the sight of Alexandria.

She was wearing a black dress with black heels— her hair flowing down her back.

"May I have this dance, heiress Slytherin?" asked a boy, catching her attention.

Alexandria rolled her eyes. "Sure, whatever."

The only reason she had said that was because rejecting a dance in the betrothal ball was frowned upon.

"What's your name?" She asked as they started dancing, his hands on her waist and hers on his shoulders.

"Aaron Avery."

"I take it you didn't go to Hogwarts?"

Avery didn't look away from her and nodded. "Durmstrang."

She stared at his black eyes, feeling immense discomfort for some reason. "Right, Avery. I'll just see you around," she pulled away, taking the nearest glass of firewhisky— gulping it down— and walking to stand by the door of the ballroom, not feeling comfortable at all.

A giggle caught her attention, making her look up.

Draco was near— 3 girls around him.

Alexandria squinted her eyes, jaw clenching.

"Heiress Slytherin," a voice greeted.

"Heir Zabini," she muttered with a nod.

"You look beautiful," said Blaise, leaning on the table between them. He turned around, also noticing Draco. "What's Malfoy up to, now?"

"That's none of your business," she sneered.

"Right. Well, may I have this dance?"

"Zabini, you're literally gay." Alexandria pointed out suspiciously.

"Malfoy doesn't know that."

"What are you up to?"

Blaise shrugged, putting his hands in his pockets. "If I help make Malfoy jealous, would you put in a good word for me with your brother?"

Alexandria almost choked at the glass of— now, champagne— in her hands. "You fancy my brother?"

"Yeah," he avoided eye contact, suddenly shy. "So?"

She looked to the corner of the ballroom, watching as Draco was taking a girl to dance. "Sure, Zabini."

Blaise grinned, giving her a hand.

When the two were done dancing, Alexandria smiled slightly. "I'll be sure to talk to Harry."

"Thank you, really," said Blaise with a smile, walking away.

She sighed, crossing her arms and leaning on the wall, looking around the ballroom.

"Had fun?" asked Harry, walking to his sister.

"No," she rolled her eyes. "you should go give Zabini a chance."

Harry frowned in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"You know.. dance with him? Get to know him? He's a nice guy."

"Gay?"

She snorted. "Sure."

Harry grinned and nodded. "Thank you," he said, then walked away— going to Blaise.

"I need to talk to you," said the voice she had been waiting for all night.

She turned around, raising an eyebrow. "Go ahead."

"Not here," said Draco.

Alexandria huffed silently, then walked out of the ballroom with him.

"Why were you with Zabini?" was the first thing he asked when they were alone.

"It's a ball. That's what I'm supposed to do."

"No. That isn't."

"Oh, don't get me started, Malfoy. You were with three girls. All. Over. You."

"Ellie—"

"And you ignored my letter and avoided me. And have been avoiding me all night. I think having a dance with another boy is fine."

"Ellie, this isn't my choice. I do not want to get betrothed to anybody in that room," admitted Draco desperately. "The only reason I was with those girls was because I didn't want to face my father's wrath and him claiming that I didn't even try to find someone."

"So.. you were trying to find someone.." concluded Alexandria, avoiding eye contact.

"No, El. I'd never do that when I have you. I wasn't trying. It was just an act."

"Draco, you're supposed to get betrothed soon—" she stopped and looked at him. "It's best if you start looking for someone now."

"Or we can get betrothed." He suggested immediately.

"Our fathers would never agree to that," she pointed out, swallowing the lump in her throat. "You should go, Draco.."

"Don't do this, Ellie. I'd rather get ridiculed and shamed— not betrothed but being your boyfriend, rather than get applauded and congratulated by being betrothed to someone else."

"I don't want you going through that for me. You deserve the best and.." she sighed, shaking her head. "I can't give you that."

He rubbed his forehead in an attempt to make his headache ease. "What are you saying?"

"I think we should break up."