CHAPTER SIX | TWILIGHT ✓

ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟs ᴄᴀʀᴅ

THE HUE OF THE RISING SUN PEERED INTO THE SHEER SILK CURTAINS DRAPED OVER THE LARGE BAY WINDOWS, POOLS OF sun light danced across the walls and spread over the hardwood floor

THE HUE OF THE RISING SUN PEERED INTO THE SHEER SILK CURTAINS DRAPED OVER THE LARGE BAY WINDOWS, POOLS OF sun light danced across the walls and spread over the hardwood floor. The shine of the light peaked over the sleeping face of Helen Clarice Swan, her eyes flinched under the orange glaze under her eyelids. She pulled a pillow over her face, welcoming the shadows in the soft coldness of her pillow. The dark abyss lured her like a beckoning call of a siren. It felt like she had fallen into depths of freezing cold water. The scent of salt hung in her dreams, picking at every sense of sanity in her mind of endless sleep.

She had lost track of time, the pillow slid down her face. Warmth flooding over her body, which slightly awoken her. It startled her, the coldness of her skin. Goosebumps spread across her skin, smears of her make-up across her flesh. She licked her lips, blinking her eyes more open, adjusting to the peering sunlight. What time did she go to bed?

The question hung on her mind as her eyes surveyed her room. The movers took another hour to sort through everything big that needed to be moved inside. Helen was grateful enough, she had unpacked her boxes and everything small was in cabinets and cupboards. The drawers were stacked with utensils, among other things down in the kitchen. Then her bathroom, her towels folded and put away with toilet paper under the sink. She glanced around her room, her closet was wide open. Curiosity blossomed in her thoughts, had she left it open last night?

She tossed the blankets off her body embracing the cold air, she glanced out the window upon stumbling over to it. She peered out seeing a couple or two walking their dogs. The sun had just came out through the clouds, the street were wet and the sidewalk was slowly drying. She turned away heading to her closet taking out her pastel blue rain coat, a milk white long sleeve turtle neck. She paired it with denim bell bottom jeans, taking out her ankle boots and fuzzy socks.

Helen got dressed and left her bedroom heading down the stairs eagerly to sit down, start a fire in the fireplace and watch some television with a cup of hot chocolate. The screen lit up on the last channel, the news covered over seemingly nothing rationally important. The young woman peered down at her phone, she had cleared all calls and messages from everyone once she came to her new home.

She tapped the screen to her contacts list and scrolled down to the C's eagerly searching until the dial tone sounded next to her ear and it rang for a few seconds until the one voice she wanted to hear pierced her ears, "El?" Charlie Swan was a man who hardly shown any ounce of surprise in his voice until now. A smile curved on the corner of her lips "Do you think you can stop by?"

Charlie was silent on his end, "Uh, El I don't think I can stop by right away? Seattle is quite far away" he stumbled over his words, he had to pull a few strings now to go see her. Helen laughed on the other end "I guess how is time to tell you, I moved Dad. I packed up my life" she said sugaring it lightly "Can you drive over to Plymouth Ave? My house is 2389, the remodeled house, brown paneling" That was all she had to say.