CHAPTER NINE | TWILIGHT ✓

ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ɴᴇᴄᴋ ᴏғ ᴀ sᴡᴀɴ

IF DEATH WAS A CALLING, IT LURED HELEN SWAN TO THE WAVES, A CALLING THAT MEANT SHE WAS ALONE, THE young woman awoken under the cotton whoop knitted blanket on the couch

IF DEATH WAS A CALLING, IT LURED HELEN SWAN TO THE WAVES, A CALLING THAT MEANT SHE WAS ALONE, THE young woman awoken under the cotton whoop knitted blanket on the couch. The living room was dark, it hovered with a stillness and a cloud of a predatory energy. Helen glanced around, confusion settled in her gut on how she got to falling asleep on the couch. Uneasiness fluttered around in her gut as she tried finding the source of her mixed emotions. She stumbled off the couch, wrapping the blanket more around her as she stepped outside.

The luminous bright light from the moon shined over the forest, a translucent blue glaze hovered over the trees and earthly soil. She made a clicking sound with her tongue to the roof of her mouth. She pressed her lips together, feeling the warmth melt away from her cheeks. Like a cold breath grazed over her skin. It chilled her to the bone, It was then she had heard it. A snap of sticks being crushed under a single step of a foot, in a slight distance. She crept more closer to the railing of the porch.

She stared out into the trees, her hands grasping the railing under the palm of her hands as she trailed towards the steps. It lured her, like a song being sung by a siren. She lost her breath for a moment as she saw a translucent shine. She saw an arm sticking out from behind a tree. She stumbled back in her foot falling to her âss. Her voice lodged erratic gasp of breath, she gripped the steps of the porch in shock.

A shimmering glow of dark eyes, that seeped the color of blood. Pools of it peered down at her, hostility stung close to the strings of her heart. Helen just railed her thoughts in the far depths of her mind. She hovered for a second, she drummed her fingers over the hardwood debating. She had to be dreaming again. It was festering away in her gut, she glanced down at her phone slipping out of her pocket.

She checked the time she saw it was nearing one in the morning. She sighed glancing at the emptiness in the driveway seeing Bella has yet to return home. She tucked her phone back into her pocket and slipped back inside the the warm threshold of her fathers home. She descended up the stairs and into the guest bedroom and flung herself into the silk sheets and cotton blankets. Her blue green eyes fluttered closed welcoming the dark abyss of her dreams.

THE following morning had Helen awoken to the pacing steps of her father's down stairs, she heard him mumbled on the house phone. She tossed the blankets off her body and headed down the stairs the steps creaking under her feet. Her eyes met his dark brown gaze, concern washed over him seeing the bags under her eyes and her pale skin didn't hold a trace of pink. Her eyes were a bit bloodshot from crying the night before.

"Dad, don't worry. She spoke about going home. I can drive" Helen said grabbing her car keys.

Charlie stopped dead in his tracks "I'll call you back Billy" He said halting his daughter with his hand. "No, I can't have you driving off gods know where and not find her. I need to call your mother and go from there" Charlie said picking up his coat as Helen shook her head "I'm sorry you can't stop me dad. I'm going to go find her okay" Helen said heading up the stairs ignoring him calling after.