CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN | NEW MOON ✓

ʟɪᴇs ᴅᴏ ɴᴏᴛ ᴅᴡᴇʟʟ

THE HUE OF THE MORNING AFTERNOON SUN; PEERED DOWN in the Port Angeles floor-to-ceiling window

THE HUE OF THE MORNING AFTERNOON SUN; PEERED DOWN in the Port Angeles floor-to-ceiling window. The rays of light eased over the desk and people casting shadows down the dimly lit hallway. The chimes of a metal stapler slammed over the painted over drywall, clusters of the wall fell down to the ground. A pair of luminous sea green eyes rolled in annoyance, she slid the broom across the ground sweeping it into the floor-bin. The sound of a knock reverberated off her office door.

She glanced over her shoulder to the windows on either side of the door, eyeing a bundle of blonde hair and large brown eyes. The enthusiastic smile on Keila's lips and her hand waving quite aggressively made Helen sigh. She walked over to the door, adjusting it open, she needs the hinges replaced. "Hey, what can I do for you?" The brunette asked.

Keila's brown eyes surveyed the destroyed office, "They really jumped right in and destroyed the place huh?" She asked seeing a curl of irritation in Helen's gaze. "Port Angeles Times heard my request for a bigger office especially with the load of casework I do" Helen replied, "And you know, they tore down a wall into the next room" She shrugged her shoulders glances at her boxes.

The boxes contained shelving, her new office supplies. A new desk and chair were being brought in. While Helen was on a classified vacation, she came into the office and was stapling clips of colors to the dry wall. "At least you got a decent view of the ocean" Keila said with a wide smile on her face, walking over to the window drawing back the curtains allowing sunlight to pour into the office.

"Everything is coming into place right now" Helen said blinking rapidly when her eyes caught the gleam of the sun. She groaned silently, walking over to Keila she pulled the curtains closed. "Way to early, let me get my coffee first" Helen told the woman. She sighed placing the stapler that was in her hands on the side table.

"It's your first day as Chief Editor" Keila eased closer, her eyes landing on her friend.

"Keila if this was your way of trying to get the best case, don't" Helen said straightening out her pencil skirt and fixed her loose fitting button-up blouse top before stepping out of her office. Her sea green eyes lowered to the ground floor, she noticed Janet and Keith mingling amongst themselves. She walked down the stairs, "Okay everyone gather around" Helen said watching as both of them glanced towards her in annoyance.

In the first few weeks of January lead to cold shoulders and stares. Helen's arrival not even six months ago to the company was bright and promising. Those who've been with the company years prior grew hefty with dislike when a promotion was handed to her. "This week we have a handle of stories to pick and choose from" she said walking over to a bulletin board turning it over.