CHAPTER FORTY-NINE | ECLIPSE ✓

ᴊᴏᴜʀɴᴀʟɪꜱᴛ'ꜱ ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛ

THE SILENCE FILTERED THE DINING ROOM, THE SOUND OF BELLA'S HEART THUMPED loudly

THE SILENCE FILTERED THE DINING ROOM, THE SOUND OF BELLA'S HEART THUMPED loudly. It rang in Helen's ears as she gazed at her sister whose face was one of awkwardness and disdain. Their father had told Bella that this dinner was family only, and now her little sister basically announced that Edward was going to be family. The brunette frowned, her lips wavered to a slight pause on her words "Dad" She broke the silence, her blue green eyes sparked seeing Bella standing her ground.

"I'm eighteen Dad, I will be marrying Edward after I graduate" She didn't leave her father a choice, "Edward is a part of this family and you won't change my mind" Bella said as she suspected her father to explode or do something but then she noticed. Helen's fingers wrapped around their father's arm, pressing into his elbow "Talk about this later. Phil is here, this is a private family discussion" Helen said lowly.

"Edward it's best if you leave" Charlie mumbled out towards the teenager. Edward feigned sadness, "I'll walk you out" Helen offered as Bella went to object but with a single look from Charlie managed to silence her. Helen placed a hand against Edward's back leading him outside, her eyes locked with his once they were "You guys should have waited to say something" Helen declared as Edward sighed, she crossed her arms.

"Bella wanted to be honest" Edward said to his sister-in-law, her blue green eyes sharpened "Bella and you honest? Oh please Edward. That's a load of shit and you know it" El responded running a hand through her hair. "Look, come back tomorrow. I'll talk to my father" She said to him extending a hand over the doorknob twisting it closed behind Edward.

Helen walked back over to the dining room seeing Charlie aggressively cut the steak and eating it while keeping a hot glare on his face. His nose scrunched up when Bella opened her mouth to speak, "Dad-" Bella started but Helen sent her a warning look. "Let's just eat. We can discuss this later" Helen told her sister. The dinner table fell silent as she slid her knife into the steak and cut slivers. Helen raised it to her lips and took a silent bite, her sea-green eyes flashed with aroma of the delicious taste.

Helen spared a glance at her husband whose golden eyes glistened in the diluted light in the living room. She felt his fingers travel over her knees to her thigh giving it a soft squeeze to ease from the tension surrounding the room. She heard a fork scrape to hard against a plate, the small sound pierced her ears. A flash of annoyance appeared in her eyes as she glanced in the direction of her own mother.

Helen noticed how the metal fork was dragged across the plate, the neverending sound caused Helen to place the fork down offer a smile "Excuse me please" El scooted back the chair and exited the table then out of sight of the living room. Carlisle spared a glance at his in-laws "I'll go check on her" He stated seeing Charlie nod his head and Bella herself, fighting the urge to escape the tension.

Carlisle stood up pushing back his chair and stepped around the table when a hand was enclosed around his wrist. His brow lifted in a frown as he stared down at his mother-in-law whose blue eyes locked with his. "Why don't I go check on her?" Renee dappled her lips with a napkin getting ready to get out of her chair but halted when cold fingers wrapped around her petite wrist.