CHAPTER SEVEN | TWILIGHT ✓

ᴀ ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ

THE ASPECT OF TRUTH WAS THE PRESENCE OF THE WORDS, THE APPEARANCE OF THE STORY WAS, WHAT laid beyond the morning horizon that late spring of the year 2005, the peak of stories flew out in the papers jumbled notes across evey single desk of every s...

THE ASPECT OF TRUTH WAS THE PRESENCE OF THE WORDS, THE APPEARANCE OF THE STORY WAS, WHAT laid beyond the morning horizon that late spring of the year 2005, the peak of stories flew out in the papers jumbled notes across evey single desk of every single journalist. Many others strived for the attention of heavy duty readers, a journalist who takes the story and sees the story read by new anchors. The chatter amongst the people was a que to listen to, to take a word of advice. The cities, even the small towns had their set of dreams to take on the world news one day.

But that was just the every day life. Local television news stations broadcasted stories every morning with updates later that evening. They had their moles in the police department, their journalists on the ground or behind a desk searching anything with a single finger in a story, a single attachment of someone's life or evolvement in a story. It was what made a journalist thrive for, the clutter of truth and lies spunned around for the benefit of readers. An the lasting torment of the actual victim of the story.

It was what a story was about. The life that seeped through lines of words on hundred of pages scattered across with processed ink. A single drop of water can spread ink across the page, staining it in black. The voices all around was hushed, whispering amongst themselves; some words being caught. "Did you hear about the murder off of-" The question hung in the air.

A head cocked in that direction, some voices fell and people cluttered to their desk as a woman lead someone through the doors. The woman was the creator and editor of Port Angeles Times, the starter upper of the new station company that cost millions to build and follow government guidelines, Valentina Joan. Her salt & pepper hair tightly brushed into a bun, her brown skirt and blazer snug against her skin and white silk top. Glasses hung on her nose, her dark eyes blazing with authority, "Everyone listen closely"

Her voice boomed, some people flinched & jumped to her attention. "We have a new member joining our team. Some of you may know her, some may don't"  Valentina announced staring at everyone, surveying the curious looks. Valentina looked to Helen, her dark locks of hair now sported light caramel brown highlights blended into her dark locks, her hair had slight curls.

Helen was dressed in a blue blouse top, her sleeves rolled down her elbows and silver buttons buttoned up nearly to the dip of her neck and collarbone. A white spaghetti shirt fitted underneath with her black slacks with a belt tucked around her waist and her simple black heels. Her hand gripped the handle of her purse as she met the curious eyes of her co-workers.

"This is Helen Swan, former Journalist of Seattle Times before she moved here. Treat her kindly, show her the ropes and everything she needs to know" Valentina said patting Helen's shoulder "The empty desk in the back" Valentina went straight to her office closing the door quickly behind her.

The journalists around her stared for a second before going back to their work leaving Helen to her own devices. Helen went over to the empty desk, opening her purse propping her name on her desk, her paperwork and pens, her files stacked easily in the corner. She sat down, opening up her work laptop logging in and examining her emails. She felt stares on her, the depth of her blue green eyes rose up.