03

꒰

꒰ .ೃ࿐ ꒱ father figure
l/n y/n, age 10

The next few days without Hanma felt gloomy. The orphanage was relatively quiet. No shouting from Mr. Jung, no loud laughter, and no mischief caused by Hanma and Y/N.

It was, honestly, unsettling to the other children. When Y/N had first arrived, she showed little to no emotion. However, as her friendship with Hanma blossomed, she began expressing her feelings more. But, now that he was gone, she had returned back to her old state.

Y/N sat in the library, flipping through a book. She turned to the next page, careful to not rip it. Quiet footsteps approached her, but Y/N kept her attention on her novel.

The sound of a chair scraping against the wooden floor echoed throughout the room. Y/N, finally, lifted her head. It was Isabella. She had a soft smile on her pretty face and pity swirling around in her violet orbs.

"How are you doing?" She asked. Y/N shrugged.

"... Fine." She mumbled.

"I have news. Unfortunately, it isn't about Hanma. He did send another letter though." Isabella handed Y/N a thick envelope.

"What's the news? Is it good or bad?" Y/N questioned.

"Well, it depends how you take it. I would say it's good. A man came in earlier today and.. he wants to adopt you."

It was so silent that you could hear a pin drop.

Y/N gripped the cover of her book tightly, jaw clenched.

"... I don't want to go." She uttered firmly, "Hanma said he'll visit. I... I want to see him again."

"The man lives in Tokyo and, if I can recall correctly, so does Hanma." Isabella replied, beaming, "Think of this as a... new opportunity." Y/N stared at the caretaker, weighing out her options.

"... Is he nice?" She inquired.

"Yes, very."

"... I'll give it a try."

Isabella smiled, nodding her head.

"Great. I'll tell him and get the paperwork. Meanwhile, you can go pack up your things."

Y/N stood up, closing her book and placing it back on the shelf. Silently, she exited the library. The hallways were deserted, as everybody else was in class or playing outside.