Prologue

I Love you, Taani… It was the biggest betrayal in her life. It wasn't the first time she was shedding tears for the man who doomed her. Her heart wasn't the only thing Rey had broken. He had vanquished her confidence, faith, empathy and loyalty.

"Love is the ability and willingness to allow those that you care for to be what they chose for themselves without any insistence that they satisfy you" - Wayne Dyer

She always believed Love to be selfless. And not selfish. But what Rey did didn't let her heart to forget the cracks welled up inside it. He had apologized but what for? Did she forgive? Yes. She did. She easily exonerated everyone in her life. Her unlucky life when her parents died, her Bhai when he opted his friends over her, her psuedo friends when they bashed her for doing her work and finally the man she loved… she even forgave him when he got overprotective of his friends and subdued her opinions and views. If she had pardoned every damn ridiculous thing happened in her life, forgiving a broken heart became easy. But the grief followed behind it wasn't expected. It was fresh and raw, slicing through the emotions deeper.

A knock slapped Taani's wandering mind. From the time she came back from college, she just sat in her room staring at nothing in particular. There were lots of tears and thoughts. Memories and treachery. Her hurt couldn't be mended. It wounded a gaping hole into the endless surface. Nothing he did could erase it. There had been enough of dictatorship in her life. No more she had the simplicity to welcome it. That second, she decided for herself. She wouldn't let anybody to trespass her territory. She would live for herself. The betterment of her life. For the beautiful existence which God had gifted her. It's time for her to fall in love with herself.

As she wiped her struck tears, a simple smile adored her lips. It was beginning for all new things. She trotted to the door and opened it.

Swayam stood there in anguish. He knew, whatever happened with Taani at the college was unfortunate. Purposefully,  Rey didn't publicize his plan of breaking up with her. Boys had spiked the drinks. Rey's plan had backfired destroying the little chance left to convince her. It wasn't until Sharon & girls confessed the truth of what really happened. As Sharon suggested he didn't interfere until Rey talked to her. By the time he learnt what went between them, he knew Taani wouldn't listen anymore of anyone. But still, he wanted to talk to his little sister.

"Bhai?" Taani smiled ignoring his concerned gaze. He was confused at her. Her lips had a smile which definitely didn't reach her eyes. "Wo…" he wasn't a pro at being vocal about boy things with her sister yet. But this wasn't some cosy little details that he could evict. This was serious. "Tum teek ho, Taani?" His serious tone stirred the little resentment towards him to whiplash but she subjugated it back. She couldn't let her anger on him. She was hurt knowing he knew the truth as well. He didn't think for a moment how it would affect her. Blimey! Self pity was no more in her list. "Haan Bhai... Mein toh bilkul teek Hoon... Infact mein soch rahi ti ki aaj raat hum dono saath mein dinner karenge…" she moved over- tracking him. "Kya bolte ho Bhai?" She smiled again. Swayam couldn't understand what was happening. It wasn't in Taani's nature to be so calm n composed after going through everything. Honestly, it made him to fear for her. "Taani… tum sachmein teek ho… I mean… waha itna kuch…."

"Bhai please… mein sachme teek hoo… aur apko mere baare mein sochne ka bilkul zarurat nahi hai… aur ha… abi aajao… mujhe bahut bhook lag Raha hai... Aur neend bi aa Raha hai…" she ignored his concerned questioning look. When she spoke so, he didn't intend to push her further. He nodded. "Lekin… kuch bi baat hai toh… tum mujhe Bata sakte ho, Taani… ya mujhse share Kar sakte ho… I'm always here…." "I know Bhai..." She wasn't a fool. She loved her brother dearly. But the reciprocation of that love was unrequited at times. Or probably she expected too much from a cousin brother. Letting reasons of her sadness to him just made everything complicated for the future she thought of having. From now, she included none in her life. She would alone deal with it. She was enough for her.

"She remembered who she was and the game changed" - Lalah Deliah