Chapter 8

It was late night and Taani was still stuck in the college as she was writing an assignment to submit it for the next week. She still had time but as her part time work would start from day after tomorrow evening, she she had to concentrate on work too. Hence she stayed back finishing it. As it finished, she collected all her books and checked her watch. She cursed seeing the time as it was already 10 past 8.00 PM. College premises will be closed exactly at 8.40pm. So, she hurried back to the locker room to collect her bag. As she walked back towards the corridor, a small hum of music seized her ears. It was just a string wave of a guitar.

Spent 24 hours, I need more hours with you
You spent the weekend getting even, ooh
We spent the late nights making things right between us
But now it's all good, babe
Roll that Backwood, babe
And play me close

Taani's face automatically lit up. The voice… it was so soothing… And she wondered who it could be, as she had never heard any singers in this college, though there was a class dedicated to it. she had only seen dance...dance...dance and nothing else in this college. Many times, she was marvelled at the sole importance given only to dance or if any others who had interest in other activities were never found.

Since the music Hall was just 20ft away from locker room, Taani's curiosity got her hold. She walked into the doorway of Hall and froze.

'Cause girls like you run 'round with guys like me
'Til sundown when I come through
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah
Girls like you love fun, and yeah, me too
What I want when I come through
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah

Rithwik stood on the center of stage with a guitar in his hand. His eyes were closed. Ear buds were placed in his ear. His fingers worked with known ease on the guitar strings pulling a serene strains. There was no spotlight on him but he stood out in the blue dark lights. He wore joggers, skyblue full sleeve shirt and sneakers. Guitar strap was diagonally placed on his shoulder. He looked absolutely like a rockstar in the Rock concert and except that there was no people around here.

Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah
I need a girl like you

Taani's lips widened. She knew he was a singer. But she never thought that he was such a good singer. There was calmness in his voice. There was a longing in his song. And there was a hint of smile on his lips as if he was smitten by a crush. She could clearly see his love for his art.

I spent last night on the last flight to you
Took a whole day up trying to get way up, ooh
We spent the daylight trying to make things right between us
But now it's all good, babe
Roll that Backwood, babe
And play me close

Taani stood at the door watching and listening to his song. It was kind of creepy but she was helpless. She was ensnared at the beauty of his voice.

'Cause girls like you run 'round with guys like me
'Til sundown when I come through
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah
Girls like you love fun, and yeah, me too
What I want when I come through
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah

His foot steps were so much in synch with the tunes he made. Taani's smile didn't leave her for a second. He opened his eyes voicing the next notes.

Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah
I need a girl like you, yeah yeah

He moved his fluid body with a slow footstep. And suddenly stopped as his gaze fell on Taani. Surprise etched on his face. She was smiling and looking at him in fascination. He was used to it. But this girl was something different. Her stare just made him conscious overall.