Chapter 3

The Greedy Grimoire #3

What? There was no time to have doubts.

As soon as the unknown voice cut out, waves of knowledge entered Theodore Miller’s brain. The amount of information couldn’t be controlled by the human’s five senses. A few years of experience filled his head at once.

Simultaneously, Theo had a hunch that he could now use ‘Lightning Bolt’ fully.

Theo hadn’t learned mere knowledge; he had received the wisdom of the author of the book, [Lightning Magic Primer].

“…Lightning Bolt.”

He chanted the spell unconsciously. This was a magic which had failed just a few minutes ago, yet the results were quite different this time.

Paijijik!

Blue lightning shot out the open window. The image Theo had visualised in his head was a complete success. The leaves which the lightning bolt passed by turned black. If the lightning bolt had hit a living creature, then it absolutely wouldn’t have been safe.

‘Success.’

It was a spell he had failed to execute several hundred times. Theo had even failed frequently in the basic elements. Lightning attribute magic was considered to have the highest difficulty level, so it was bound to be even harder for him.

Seeing the static electricity on his palms as if he had experienced an earthquake, Theo was glad. Had he really succeeded in Lightning Bolt at once?

‘This isn’t a hallucination…!’

He folded his fingers which were trembling from the shock and felt the sweat on his palms.

Theo realized this was the turning point of his life. He was a magician lacking in sensitivity and magic power. This was his chance to reach the 3rd Circle which had been impossible for him!

‘Okay, let’s start over from the beginning.’

This was when Theo sobered up.

The strange phenomenon had cleared his confusion and depressed emotions, giving him a ray of hope. At this moment, his thinking abilities returned to normal. His brain, which even first-class magicians had acknowledged, began doing a high-speed analysis.

This situation had started when he found an unidentified book. He’d felt a horrible touch on his left hand when he tried to pick up the book and the book then disappeared somewhere. After that, a strange tongue had sprouted from the palm of his left hand. The tongue had grabbed and swallowed the book, [Lightning Magic Primer] on the floor, and Theo had learned Lightning Bolt.

…No, just before that, he had heard a voice. Theo recalled the words the voice had said.

[’Lightning Magic Primer’ has been consumed. Your understanding is very high.]

[2nd Circle magic ‘Lightning Bolt’ has been acquired.]

[After waking up from a long sleep, Gluttony is very hungry. Hurry and relieve Gluttony’s hunger. The time limit is 10 minutes from now. (1/5)]

The important thing wasn’t the first two sentences. Swallowing the book and learning Lightning Bolt was a secondary thing.

As Theo remembered the last sentence, he mumbled involuntarily, “…Gluttony?”

Unexpectedly, there was an immediate reaction.

Jjeok.

A hole appeared in his left hand, and a red tongue emerged from it. The hole didn’t just have teeth, there were lips as well. Theo observed the scene closely instead of being astonished or frightened. He was filled with expectations about whether the tongue could talk or not.