Chapter 77

A Traditional Hero #3

Gluttony’s 4th stage function, Transmission, was the core of Overwrite, and it was literally a double-edged sword. If it was successful, it would give Theo more of the author’s ability, beyond the little which had been extracted from the essence. However, if it failed, he would lose all the abilities he had obtained previously and, in turn, receive a mental blow.

Theodore was currently standing on a perilous cliff.

‘…?’

The focus completely disappeared from his eyes, and his body lost its vitality. The whirling memories swirling in his head forced him to cut down his five senses. He couldn’t tell where Alfred Bellontes’ memories ended and where Theodore Miller’s memories began. As the boundaries between their egos collapsed, their memories mixed together into a mess. Theo’s mentality didn’t fit his age, but it was hard for him to completely accept the hero’s soul.

Somehow, Theo managed to form a mental structure which captured the broken egos, but the mental challenge caused his eyes to become bloodshot.

‘This… Hang on…!’

If he didn’t look back on himself constantly, it was likely that he would forget who he was. Even though it was only a fragment, Alfred’s soul overwhelmed Theo’s consciousness, and the memories and abilities drove Theo’s body to the brink. His senses expanded, producing what seemed to be short-term visions of the near future, and it also made him feel dizzy.

However, if this continued, he wouldn’t even last five minutes before being overwhelmed. It was a reality which couldn’t be reversed through will and determination; it was the predicted ending for an idiot who couldn’t figure out his limits.

Funnily enough, it was Pride who rescued him.

–How dare you ignore me when I’m right in front of you!

While Theo was engulfed by the confusion of his mind, Superbia became furious and attacked him.

The flesh of the predator unintentionally stimulated Theo’s survival instincts. The heart which had stopped moving started beating again, while his loosened nerves and muscles became taut and filled with tension.

]Focus returned to Theodore’s empty eyes as the sound of the tail sliced through the air. This time, it was aiming for Theo’s neck instead of his heart. It was a blow which even Alfred couldn’t avoid completely, so the willpower of the two people facing death became perfectly matched up.

Kiiing-

Theo moved one beat ahead. The tail, which was capable of tearing steel apart, fell before him. Even if he managed to deflect half the trajectory, his neck would still get sliced. Nevertheless, Theo was confident he could avoid it as he ducked and the sound passed over his head. A few strands of hair were sliced off and scattered around.

–It is a useless effort! Superbia stretched out its forelimbs, which looked like tentacles, at a terrifying speed.

They didn’t reach the speed of sound, but there were 27 of them. It was a 360-degree attack which made evasion impossible. The number and range completely surpassed Theo’s mobility.

However, Theodore observed the tentacles with a calm expression. ‘This is the acid roper from the western swamps… Its tentacles will melt the human body immediately.’

The tentacles, which emitted strongly acidic slime, came from a predator in the swamps. They were light, so getting hit by the tentacles wouldn’t hurt, but the slime which melted bones and muscles was a really terribly weapon.