Chapter 119

Book Eating Magician #2

Original books were not books which were created with duplication magic, but the first copies the authors wrote directly. So far, Theo had swallowed three original books: Ballistics Magic; Introduction to Elemental Magic; and Battle Song. They acted as the foundation Theo’s abilities were built on.

However, how would original books solve his problem?

“…I don’t understand. Hasn’t my vessel already reached the limit?”

–Yes.

“Then won’t eating original books be like pouring more water in? Why is that the solution?”

–Hrmm, the explanation is lacking. Gluttony thought for a moment before opening its mouth again. –Your question isn’t entirely wrong. The abilities you learn from the original books will fill up the vessel. But in the process, you can acquire something else.

“What is it?”

–The fragment of the author’s soul set inside the original book.

Gluttony said that although it was small, a piece of the author’s soul was contained in the original book. So far, Theodore had met the author’s of the original books he’d eaten. He had experienced Alfred on the battlefield and Lee Yoonsung using his martial arts. Myrdal’s case was a little bit different, but the old man should be treated as an exception.

Theodore realized the meaning of Gluttony’s words and asked, “So absorbing the fragment of soul can expand my vessel?”

–That’s right. In fact, your vessel was already half full when you absorbed Umbra. If you hadn’t used ‘Transmission’ on Alfred, you would’ve died.

“…Transmission.” Theo noticed a secret hidden in the word.

General predation couldn’t absorb all the abilities of a book. It didn’t matter about his talent or aptitude. Just like how it was impossible for Theodore to shoot Magic Bullet like Alfred, it was impossible for him to obtain 100% of the author’s ability.

However, Theo overcame that limit with Transmission. Theo thought had that Transmission was just a function which effectively accepted the author’s ability, but he now realized it was different. Transmission was the ability to expand the vessel beyond its limits.

Otherwise, there was no reason to take the risk that the contractor’s ego would collapse. If Theodore’s mentality hadn’t been strong and Alfred hadn’t been willing to help, he might’ve become brain dead after fighting Pride.

–No, that is a bit wrong.

“…What?”

As it had read Theo’s thoughts, Gluttony interrupted, –Transmission isn’t normally used in that way. At that time, it was instant because the situation was imminent. However, it was originally a process that allows for gradual assimilation.

“Process?”

–As you can see, sometimes a confusion of self can occur. Of course, it isn’t a problem if the user is overwhelming strong. But if the other party is superior, the user could end up being eaten. You were lucky in many ways last time.

In other words, if Alfred was a bad person, then he could’ve taken over Theo’s body. However, after that, Theo couldn’t call on Alfred anymore.

Theo organized the information he had received before replying. There were three ways to avert the three-year deadline. Among them, he erased the first idea without even thinking about it. Human sacrifice belonged to the black magic area and was a taboo in Meltor, with severe punishment if caught. Theodore wouldn’t be excluded from the punishment even if he had received a medal.