Chapter 130

Karga's Underground Auction #3

“The current bid is 80 gold! A bid by guest No.107!”

Beneath the surface of the host’s calm facade, he was completely bewildered. It was because he had never experienced such a fight for an original book.

He didn’t know about the past when there had been no duplication magic, but now that copies were scattered all over the world, the value of the original books was forced to fall. Only the wealthy wanted original books to decorate their libraries. However, that wasn’t enough for the bidding war between the two participants to go so high.

The price of 80 gold, which was more expensive than jewellery, made the agent of the Information Guild hesitate. However, Akan gripped the sign and looked at Theodore, who nodded without hesitation. It was an expression that showed his determination to acquire the item without caring about profit or loss.

Akan closed his eyes and spread out all 10 fingers.

“Yes, 100 gold! 100 gold! Guest No. 381 has bid 100 gold, and the countdown will start again! 10 seconds remaining!”

The host and the audience, who initially had no interest in original books, were now excited about the sudden prosperity.

To put it bluntly, the northern auction houses were smaller than the ones in the other areas. So, the limitations of miscellaneous goods such as jewellery were clear when compared to weapons which could be traded at high prices. Rare artifacts might appear occasionally, but most of them were usually shown at the auction on the last day. For that reason, it had been a long time since the auction houses in the north had competed with bids over 100 gold.

Theodore glanced at the old gentleman sitting far away. ‘Will you follow? It has already passed 100 gold… Will you offer more than this just to read a book?’

To be honest, Theo was skeptical. If he just wanted to read the book, there were many copies on the market. It was strange that a scholar, not a magician, would spend 80 gold on this book. Theo didn’t know the old man’s purpose, but it seemed like the old man had a strange commitment to original books.

Unsurprisingly, the old man hesitated for a moment before lifting his sign. However, the bidding amount was different from before. It wasn’t 20 gold but 10 gold, half his other bid amounts.

“No. 107! 110 gold, this time the bid has increased by 50%! I am really curious about this sale now that it has already exceeded today’s maximum bid price!”

The reactions of those watching the host were divided in two. There were those sorry about the fact that the 100% bidding hadn’t continued, while the others were interested in Theodore’s group. Theodore’s eyebrows twitched faintly as eyes gathered on him. No, it wasn’t because of them. It was because of the look in the eyes of the old man, Heinrich, as he looked at Theo.

What would he do now? Those eyes seemed to be asking.

“Yes, No. 381!”

Theodore’s 10 fingers were spread wide open as he held up the sign.

“Once again, a 100% bid! It is now 130 gold! An original book has never sold for this much before! I can assure you that it hasn’t happened in the last 10 years!” The host’s mouth expressed his excitement.

A bid of 130 gold was uncommon in the eastern or southern auction houses. He was certain that they would fall short of this amount. With excitement in his eyes, the host looked at No. 107, Heinrich. Even if it stopped here, it had already exceeded his expectations. However, a person’s greed was endless.