Chapter 89

Sword And Magic Confrontation #3

After accomplishing a perfect victory in his duel with Rebecca, Theodore didn’t head toward the dinner venue. Instead, he headed to the infirmary of the royal palace.

Theo came down from the stage in a much better state than Rebecca, but that didn’t mean he was without damage. The power of the blade which was literally like a storm had leapt beyond the defensive power of ‘Battle Song.’

The healer clicked his tongue when he saw Theo’s tattered forearm. “…How terrible. It isn’t easy to heal injuries caused by aura, but this is more than that. Simple treatment using potions or herbs would be more effective than magic.”

Basically, the mana which passed through a person’s body was altered according to the person’s inherent nature. In order to resonate with that nature, magicians minimized the degree of deterioration by forming an artificial circulation organ called circles, but knights were different. For them, their inherent nature was merely a good thing. Since aura strengthened physical abilities, the closer it was to the user’s own nature, the greater the efficiency and power would be. However, this left behind traces which interfered with magical healing.

“So?”

“Yes. Knight Rebecca… the density of her aura is already reaching the level of a pro-knight. If you suffered a serious injury, you might’ve been lying in bed for months.”

“Then how long will it take for this wound to heal?”

“Please wait a moment.” The healer carefully examined the stab wound on Theo’s forearm. There was occasional pain, but it wasn’t enough to make a fuss about it. Theo’s behaviour was like that of a veteran soldier.

The healer used his magic power to heal the wound before lifting his head again. “Fortunately, the blade didn’t enter too deeply. I will use a healing spell, apply a medicine and then a bandage. The wound should be healed in three days.”

“Three days…”

“Oh, please avoid any heavy exercise or movements for a week. The wound might reopen.”

Theodore had no reason to refuse, so he nodded gently.

The healer proceeded to start the full-scale treatment. First, he removed the aura remaining in the wound with healing magic, then he connected the muscles in the blood vessels which hadn’t healed yet. Subsequently, the blood completely stopped flowing out. After the bleeding stopped, the healer performed a simple treatment with potions and herbs.

The healer’s workmanship was truly worthy of a healer working in the royal palace. A white bandage was wrapped around one of Theo’s arms, and the pain from the wound was away. Theo moved the arm wrapped in the white bandage and said, “It is much better. Thank you very much.”

“…It is nothing. Rather, I should be thanking you.” The healer checked the bandage’s knot meticulously and laughed at the gratitude.

He had been employed as a royal healer for several decades. Once the war broke out, the number of patients he treated had been in the thousands, and hundreds of them hadn’t been able to be saved. Their lives had been taken by the Andras’ blades.

“It was always a victory if we returned from the battlefield, and a defeat if we returned with the bodies of our colleagues. So, there were times when I regretted being a healer. I couldn’t fight, and sometimes I blamed myself for choosing who to leave behind.”

“……”

“But today, I knew what it felt like to win for the first time.”

It was too early to call him an old man, but wrinkles could clearly be seen on the hand which gripped Theo’s. Perhaps he had also been sitting in the audience and had seen with his own eyes the imperious and rude demands of the empire.