Chapter 66

Slavers Raiding Mission #3

High elves were the most secretive of the elven species who were covered in mysticism. Those who didn’t know would think they were an upper tier of the species, but that wasn’t entirely correct.

A long time ago, Arv’s blood experienced atavism and the elf became a high elf.

Their natural strength was the reason why all kingdoms coveted high elves and secretly detained them.

A low voice emerged from Vince’s mouth, “…Three months ago. I heard that the Pilar River, the lifeline of Austen, started to dry up.”

In the heart of the Austen Kingdom, an incredible river flowed through the desert. Pilar River was the driving force behind the Austen Kingdom functioning as a nation. It was literally the lifeline which allowed the inhabitants of the desert to thrive.

However, the river had dried up. Every 60 to 100 years, a drought would arrive and kill the kingdom. It was a disaster which couldn’t be predicted through magic. It was the reason why the national strength of Austen didn’t increase over a certain level. There was always a limitation since they had to gather food and water to prepare for the drought.

However, things would change if they had a high elf.

It is a reasonable conclusion. High elves were a species that enriched nature just by being there. Their power turned poisoned swamps back into clear lakes and caused blades of grass to grow in rocky mountains. Even if they couldn’t completely resolve the drought, the situation in the Austen Kingdom would improve.

As descendants of Arv, the high elves’ inborn strength was truly wonderful. As natural elementals, they were able to cause miracles just by breathing. They cleansed poison and grew vegetation, and could moisten dry land and grow any crop. That was difficult even for the great elementalist, Myrdal.

Above all, the Austen Kingdom needed a justification to kidnap a high elf since they risked Elvenheim’s wrath.

“I don’t know how much power is in this convoy, but I know how desperate you must be to disguise it as slavery.”

“You will still block me despite knowing this?” The Janissary’s sword trembled.

He wasn’t part of the [Shackler] organization. A Janissary despised sins and assisted the rulers with their accumulated knowledge. For the sake of Austen, they were servants who obeyed their ruler loyally. So, he hid in this kingdom in disguise under the belief that he would eventually solve the disaster. The mission had to be accomplished, even if he threw away his life.

As Vince kept that determination in mind, he nodded. “I don’t know your situation. It would be a few times better for me to save the abducted high elf and gain favour from Elvenheim.”

“If you just close your eyes, the Sultan will repay the favour.”

“How funny. Are you asking me to become an accomplice?”

It was Meltor’s loss, no matter how he thought about it. Elvenheim was different from the distant Austen. For a kingdom which was antagonistic to the Andras Empire, the emergence of a new adversary was fatal.

On the contrary, what if Vince rescued the high elf and brought them back to Elvenheim? It might led to a strong ally in this tug of war. In short, Austen didn’t have anything to offer Meltor for negotiation.

“…I understand, I’ll have to take care of you here.” The Janissary understood this fact and suddenly lifted something into the air. Vince tried to stop it, but the action was too sudden.