Chapter 176

Return To The Magic Tower #3

“Don’t speak nonsense!” The minister for the army, Robert, banged his hand on the table and shouted loudly, “Prime Theodore’s accomplishments are enough to make him the new Red Tower Master! He reached the 7th Circle before the age of 30 and defeated one of the empire’s Seven Swords!”

“I can see that, Minister!” However, the minister of domestic affairs, Jerome, argued back, “I admit that his achievements are huge, but giving a Prime-level magician the title and estate of an earl might cause ripples in the currently stable political situation. We don’t know what the empire is planning, so should we be fighting internally?”

“What are you saying? The discipline behind this kingdom is to award merits and punish faults. Why should we not reward a hero just because of the nobles who are playing politics?!”

“Uh, this man is like this until the end!”

After Theodore had finished his story and received permission from Kurt III to leave, the remaining people had been in a state of shock. However, they then started a debate.

The people around the table were split into two groups. There were those like Robert who wanted to publicize Theodore’s achievements and give him a huge prize, while the other side led by Jerome thought it wasn’t a good time to publicize it.

It was very intense because neither side was wrong.

The person in question had managed to reach the 7th Circle at a young age and kill one of the empire’s Seven Swords. Meltor couldn’t be allowed to neglect this type of person.

Likewise, the opposition’s opinion was also correct. Up till now, high ranking magicians hadn’t been part of the social circle, nor did they cling to fame, so the nobles had never felt hostile or tried to oppress them.

However, that balance could be overturned with the appearance of Theodore Miller.

‘It is a funny story because his merits are too big.’ Kurt III laughed inwardly as he watched the debate.

His thoughts were closer to those of the minister of the military, but as the ruler of the country, he had to consider both sides. As Jerome said, the empire hadn’t revealed everything yet, so Kurt couldn’t make a decision which might be a seed for a feud.

“Stop,” Kurt III spoke in a stern voice and everyone fell silent. Then he continued speaking, “I understand your opinions about Prime Theodore. The words of both the minister of the military and the minister of domestic affairs are reasonable.”

It was as he said. In this world, it wasn’t always the case that only one side was correct. It was common for both sides to be correct and for him to have to pick one. Kurt III was devoted to the administration of the kingdom every day, so he was now accustomed to this.

He closed his eyes for a moment as he sat on the throne.

Then he opened his mouth and said, “Listen carefully!”

“Yes, Your Majesty!”

“Starting tomorrow at 9 a.m., invite Baron Dennis Miller to the city where he will become an earl. Once his heir takes over the title, Theodore Miller will become a marquis. It is the same for his estate. Before that, Prime Theodore will be treated as an honorary marquis. Understood?”

“I will follow Your Majesty’s words!” The other people stood up and bowed while admiring Kurt’s smart judgment.

In Meltor, ‘earl’ and ‘marquis’ weren’t just simple titles. They were the ranks where nobles could step into official affairs and discuss the administration of the state. What would happen if a magician of the 7th Circle who was also a famous person entered this position? The nobles might not have as much power as other countries, but they would unite in order to avoid losing more power. They would lead a counterattack against Kurt III’s strong power.